Monday, April 9, 2012

Longest short ride I've ever taken.

I hopped on the bike tonight and hit I-95 from exit 89 to exit 90, jumped off the highway, bought smokes and jumped on southbound 95. As I started to accelerate onto the highway the brake lights lit up. After idling for about ten minutes I dropped the kickstand, shut off the bike and put my feet up. Happily the weather was fairly warm, the air smelled of salt water on a warm summer night, so I sat there feet up and relaxed. A half hour later, after damn near falling asleep and slipping off the bike, traffic eeked forward. I started the bike and thanks to parades and playing at Ocean Beach I commenced my participation in an Interstate highway slow race. Slow enough that you had to wiggle the steering to keep balance. It would crawl a bit then stop, then crawl then stop. The bike decided it was getting warm so it switched to one cylinder air pump mode, idling along on one cylinder makes the ride a little hoppy. About 500 feet away from the accident a wrecker went by on the shoulder. Traffic stopped while the wrecker took up position then retrieved one of the cars in the accident. At this point I did not want to shut off the bike, Having a "hot" Harley could mean the computer would decide that I should park the bike. Sitting on a shoulder on I-95 waiting for an engine to cool was not what I wanted to do, so I let the engine sit there thumping away as we all waited. After another 10 to 12 minutes we started crawling again. Once clear of the accident I (planned to get off at exit 89 for home) decided to stay on the highway to exit 88 to get some air over the engine. The town must have mowed the lawn at the old Groton dump because all you smell through there was fresh cut grass, reminded me of summer and warm days to come. I jumped off at 88, ran up 117 to 184 and headed home.

It only took about an hour to take a 3 mile ride for cigarettes.


klay

No comments:

Post a Comment