Saturday, January 8, 2011

I was looking at electric bikes today...

Posted December 15,2010


just out of curiosity. I found an article about the Brammo Enertia and Brammo Impulse. The Enertia is more a commuting bike, cruises at about 40 to 50mph. The Impulse has a sport bike look and can do 100mph. The bikes use a stacked battery system with multiple cells. The one draw back I see will electric motorcycles is range. I know, you thought I was going to say no exhaust noise, and yes I prefer the deep throated sound of a vee twin, but the difficulty that comes to mind with the electrics is range. The Enertia can do a 100mph and can run for 100 miles, so it is actually a short haul bike, 50 out,50 back. With a internal combustion powered bike you can ride all day, if I want to hop on my sled and go get BBQ at Curtis BBQ in Vermont, I just jump on the bike and ride, when the gas is low I just add some dinosaur squeezings and continue on my way. What do you do with an electric? You can ride 100 miles, hop off, set the key to lock, set the switch to charge, plug the bike in and go sit in a corner and wait...and wait......and....wait.



I can't see these bikes being a hit outside the short hop, commuter or store hopper market because there is nowwhere to get an instant charge. When they figure that out, they'll be a full market for these bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment