Thursday, November 29, 2012

When the Shop talks....

I called my favorite repair facility and told them I had a transmission trap door leak and would like to bring the bike in for service.  They told me that the leaking Trap is common with the 103 but that most times the repair does not require pulling the trans out. The first thing they check is the exhaust mount bolts to the rear of the trans. They told me most times it turns out that the bolts have loosened and that Harley designed the exhaust bolts in that location to do double duty. The bolts hold the exhaust bracket but also go through the case, These bolts have a tendency to loosen. What the shop told me is to drop it tomorrow, they will clean off the area, inspect those bolts, loctite and re torque them and if there is still a leak they will go from there. According to that shop 95% of the time the bolts are the culprit and not the case or gasket.

No comments:

Post a Comment