Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Weather to ride or not

I awoke this morning to find that the temperature outside was 62 degrees (that would be 16.6667 celsius), heavily overcast with the looks of having a heavy downpour any second. So I turned on the radio and the weatherman came on right away (very suspicious, normally you wait and wait for a forecast). He came on the air and said it would be unseasonably warm this morning with a chance of showers in the afternoon and the temperature would be dropping to around 40 degrees (4.4444 celsius) in the afternoon. Knowing that weathermen are highly schooled trained professionals I took his work as law and jumped on the bike for the ride to work

The air was nice and warm and it was a nice comfortable ride, I love not having to wear chaps and such. Wearing dark sunglasses on a dark overcast morning was not the wisest decision I have ever made. As I proceeded west on route 184 through Groton the sky ahead looked worse and worse. I decided when I reached Center Groton I would take 117 south to I-95 to shorten the travel time.As I turned onto 117 I felt a single solitary drop of rain hit my forehead...I had been betrayed. From that single drop it quickly became a downpour. I hit the highway and brought the bike up to speed to create the fairing wind deflection required to put the rain out and around you,     It didn't work, my legs were soaked from the knees down and having the short windshield means the rain doesn't really go up and over, it goes up and back...into my forehead. At eighty and above...rain stings.  At least the rain wasn't cold.  I arrived at work damp but in one piece and that's what counts.. The temperature began to drop around 10am making it a cold rainy day.

I was mildly upset with the weatherman (as usual) this morning, I mean that is about the only job where you can be wrong 90% of the time and they keep you on.

 But then I started thinking about it, this mornings weatherman was right,

he said it would rain in the afternoon...it rained,
he said the temperature would drop this afternoon...it dropped,

so he is actually a pretty damn good weatherman...

It's just a shame he can't tell time.


klay

No comments:

Post a Comment