Friday, November 30, 2012

Was thinking about it and ......WHAT?!!!!

Not really intending to do more than express my opinion on the last post, but, On my way home from work all that ran through my mind was ..."WHAT?!!!"

The mentioned states want to pass legislation to stop a law that will make it legal to transport a concealed weapon across state lines...Let me give you a fer instance:
 Connecticut does NOT honor any carry permits from any of it's surrounding states. Fact.

Massachusetts honors NO other state permit!!!

Pennsylvania does not honor New York, New Jersey, Ohio, or Maryland. It does honor West Virginia.

California honors Arizona but not Oregon and Nevada 

Now here's my question and why it makes no sense to me. If I live in Massachusetts and I have a permit, I carry across the state line into Connecticut under the new legislation I have broken no law. News Flash. My permit is no good in Connecticut what the hell difference does it matter that there is a law about the state line? The entire state is illegal!!!

If I live in New York, and I want to carry my gun into Connecticut legally (assuming I am carrying it legally in New York), I would have to apply for a Connecticut Permit, take the required training, run through a back ground test, and give a damn good reason why I want to carry a gun in "their" state, and acquire a Connecticut permit. 

Now with Permit in hand for both states I can carry in both states, but with the New Legislation I can't carry concealed across the state line?  What do I have to do, take it out and wave it around as I cross the line? Maybe I would have to stop, take the gun off, place it in the trunk, cross the line, stop and go back to carrying it?

Pennsylvania: I am a gun in PA with my WV permit, which PA honors, I can do this, but...I can't take it across the state line? DO I need to own a gun in both states and rent a locker in one of them

I don't know....

My favorite is Hawaii, State line law??? What state line???  I do believe if I decide to go to Hawaii and carry a concealed weapon I would have a lot more problems concerning the FAA, FBI, Homeland Security and airline people than worrying about a state line law.

The truth is I understand what they are trying to avoid, a law which would allow me to cross state lines lets say, from Ct to Vermont and pass though Massachusetts without a Mass. permit.  It would void that States carry law. 
But in most cases you can do that now, you can bring your gun across state lines, you normally have to contact that state, advise them of your route and times and do not deviate. You just can't carry while you are crossing that state.

It looks like this new legislation is a first step in attempting to be able to carry nationwide and that would be fine with me. I am still in favor of two types of permits, your state, or National. You pay the extra, and you have an "all state" approved test and access level.

klay

You know...just to be goofy, I can carry my weapon now when I travel, Lets say I want to go to Arizona. Simple, get on a boat in the New York Sound, sail down the coast to North Carolina, drive west into Tennessee, turn right at Missouri, run north into Iowa, turn left into South Dakota, cruise into Montana, stop and wave at Canada, make a left turn into Idaho and continue south through Utah to Arizona. 

No comments:

Post a Comment