Saturday, August 10, 2013

Bar Rescue Review


I finally had a chance to watch the Bar Rescue episode that the club participated in at the Handle Bar in Pawcatuck. The show followed the regular theme of making the management appear to be inept and helping them turn things around so that they are now a great success. This was exactly what I expected; although I was surprised at the limited amount of before and after shots of the bar itself.

I had heard that some people thought that participating in this show portrayed our club in a bad way. After having watched the show I couldn't disagree more. Did the show try to take advantage of the "Bad Biker Image"? Of course the answer is yes, but only to a very small degree. Were their displays of drunken behavior? Drinking to excess? Sexist behavior? Or any of the other stereotypes associated with the "Bad Biker Image"? NO. NOT BY ANY OF OUR CLUB MEMBERS. It just showed a bunch of people talking, eating and drinking and generally enjoying themselves.

I know that our club members were not the only bikers there. There were a lot of faces I didn't recognize. But I didn't see any other patches. I did see our patch quite a bit. Anyone who knows the NLMC will recognize our patch. I doubt that anyone who knows of the club is going to be shocked that we might visit a bar from time to time.

All in all I think this was a good opportunity for the club to gain a small modicum of exposure and to help the Handle Bar with their endeavor. We should be proud that we took advantage of this opportunity.

Vince Sileo

No comments:

Post a Comment