Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday ride report

Twas a bit chilly at the beginning of the day, the temperature was hanging around the low 20's when I jumped on the bike. I cruised over to Montville, filled up the tank, then pulled in DD for the pre-ride jocularity.

When I arrived the parking lot was visibly vacant of the normal parked bikes, Two were lined up, so I tucked in next to them. By the time 10am (A.O.B.) rolled around we were up to a total of 5. But that was alright because we were still drinking coffee and two more arrived shortly afterwards.

Tree and Chris began an impromptu drill team circle and Tom joined in, this was great because it allowed me to finish my smoke. Tom took us up rte 32 to 2A and across the Thames River, through Poke your tongue out, (Poquetanuck), and on to rte 2 eastwards. We cruised route 2 to route 164 up through Preston City to Jewett City. There he turned onto 138 west. We cruised through Versailles and Baltic where we took route 207 across 32 into Lebanon. At the junction of 207 and 87 a woman waved Tom out, turns out that's all she waved out because she pulled right through cutting off the rest of the riders except Tree and Chris who managed to squeak through before she closed the door. Proving once again, just because the Road Captain leads the way out, don't follow blindly, you always have to watch whats happening.

We ran up 87 to the Beaumont highway which we took into Willimantic. Route 32 to 31. 31 took us to Coventry, then Lake to cross to South Street and Coventry Pizza. Here once again we proved that even a small group of us can disrupt a business as we shifted tables and chairs to suit our needs. We sent the Breakfast menus back to the kitchen and had the Lunch menus brought out. The food was excellent, the conversations were enjoyable and before long it was time to get back on the bikes to head home. Mike headed north while the rest of us were still dining so 6 of us headed for 32 south. We dropped Tree in Willimantic and I left The Lloretts, Dave Adams, and Vincent at Norwichtown.

I proceeded east through Norwich, then down 201 to Mystic to visit with the Girls at the EQ. As I pulled in I did the normal pass, loop, return, turn stop, park and back up. As I walked inside a Guy came over to me and told me how impressed he was with the way I parked. He said it smooth and flowed. He asked how I learned to ride like that. I told him, it's all about learning to handle the bike at slow speeds. So my thanks to that Tom guy again. So it does go to show you, when you do it right, it is noticed. As Tom is want to say, "Always on Parade".  The way you ride reflects on the Club as a whole. I am quite sure if I had dropped the bike it would have been noticed also, but I doubt anyone would have come over to comment on it.

klay

No comments:

Post a Comment