Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I spent the day with the unemployed


Five members of the Club got together today for a ride, and unlike most club rides this one was about putting on miles not pounds. Don't mis-understand, we did plan on eating lunch ...out there...but it would be in the middle-ish of the ride. I departed my house in Mystic Ct, bought smokes and took CT 184 to I-95 south to Guilford exit 59. Those were the instructions given me, no more...no less. There was nothing about what to do after I got off the highway, there is a Macdonalds, a Dunkin Donuts (a Club Trademark), a commuter parking lot and a large dirt area (used for parking) at the end of the ramp. I chose the dirt lot, only because I figured where ever they would be, I would catch them rolling in off the highway, You know what, it worked, except in regards to the last guy, the one who planned the ride, I texted him to find out where he wanted me, he can't text, so I awaited the call. He called and asked where we were, I told him we were in the dirt parking area at the end of the ramp, he said there wasn't one, we argued the point. Once it was straightened out the four of us headed down to the Commuter lot to meet up with him.


Look Steve!!! Dirt parking Lot!!!


 I have to say, this was one of the best rides I have been on, small group, great riders, Fantastic roads, 90 degree day, I can't say much more than FANTASTIC!


About the ride, Ah.. we went west on rte 1 turned right on a road, then went up and down hills and around sweepers, past farms, over and along rivers... and I was lost, and I don't care. It was great, climb up out of Valleys to find vistas opening up then trees and down into valleys only to climb up another hill, I know we found ourselves on 691 then 84 into Waterbury to spend money at Docs, I know we ran paralle to rte 8 on back roads up the Naugatuck Valley, we went through Torrington. Steve Natale was taking us to the Landing Zone Grille in Harwinton Ct. What we found was a sign on the door that said open at 10am, and it was 11:30 and the doors were locked. We went past Barkhampsted, cruised along-side Peoples State forest,took rte 20 up through North Hollow and down to East Hartland, We ate on rte 44 opposite Satan's Kingdom at Portabellos then cruised on, Natale and Jim were taking us to Old Newgate Prison, Natale's idea, again, and... it was closed. More hills and valleys and twisting curves and regular roads and we came out at Bradley Airfield where we stopped at an Ice Cream shop (water). Here was the beginning of the end, Jim had to get home, Steve N. wanted to reverse the route back west, a lot of discussions and finally it was south to Manchester and rte 85, then Steve departed on 66 towards Home, Jim pulled off for Colchester, Steve M. stayed on 85, and John and I took 207 towards Lebanon, I dropped off to visit Rick (Hey Done, You bikes not Dunn, or Dunn Done...something like that. Like I said I dropped off at ricks and met Rat, then I dropped off at Ricks..stupid easy chair. Woke up and headed home. Sorry I can't say more about the route, but as I said, I was lost most of the time So I'll let the photos do the talking...


klay

1 comment: