Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Connecticut to Florida by J.Olden

First a little information, Jim Olden is 68 years old and has been riding motorcycles since he was around 15 years old. All his life he has stuck with one Manufacturer, Honda, His first bike was a used Honda 1958 Honda Dream, his current mode of Transportation is a 2009 Goldwing. Even though he has been riding for all those years he had never before made a long distance road trip, so he decided it was time and a ride to Florida was in order.


************************************************************************
I woke up around 4:30am so as I could get a early start, I ate breakfast, washed up, used the Bathroom and was on the road at 8am. The weather was a bit cool as I left Stonington Borough, but with all the heaters and full plastic on the bike, very little of the air found me and I was fine in that respect. The roads were fantastic and I made good time, I made a quick stop in Colchester
  before jumping on rout 2 towards Hartford. I was rather surprised that the State Police did not seem to be about so I opened the throttle a bit and relaxed as the scenery sped by. The smell of the pines was in the air as I passed through Marlborough, swept up the hills and into Glastonbury where an impromptu stop was made,


before continuing on. Traffic picked up a bit in Hartford where due to the cold weather I pulled off at a road side restaurant for a cup of coffee and a visit to the loo,

then it was back on the bike and westbound on 84. West Hartford, Farmington, Plainville, and Southington flew by. In Waterbury there was another small delay as I had lunch and a maintenance stop,




 then it was back on the highway and west through Middlebury and Southbury. The roads were smooth and the traffic wasn't bad. I love the way the smooth sound of the bike's exhaust mixes with the sounds of the tires on the pavement. Newtown and Danbury passed by, a little traffic in Danbury slowed the highway speed but I took the delay in stride.


 Once clear of Danbury it was a clear run to the State line. The Hills between Danbury Connecticut and Fishkill New York were most pleasant, I stopped in Newburgh New York for Dinner and another....stop,

 then cruised west to Maybrook where I took a room at the Super 8 for the night. What a great day...I think I am making great time and can't wait to get on the road again tomorrow.  It really is nice to be able to see new parts of the country i had not seen before.

Stay tuned for Jim Olden's second leg of his trip from Stonington Connecticut to key West Florida.

PS: I noticed that Dayton is not that far from Pennsylvannia, so I may make a swing there on the way to the Keys, I always wanted to visit the Home of the Dayton 500. I had no idea it was that close...

No comments:

Post a Comment