Monday, April 19, 2010

Sunday the 18th

I don't know how your day started but mine kicked off with panic. My Cel phone alarm went off, I rolled over and saw the alarm clock said 835am, this is not good because today was the Bike Blessing and I was suppose to be at Norms with the crew at 730a. I jumped up grabbed the phone to silence it and noticed the clock on it said 615am, I looked at the Alarm clock, 836am, I looked at the clocks on the wall, (I have two, both BMW Formula one clocks), one said 1:39 the other 7:45, yeah they haven't worked in years, I looked at the computer, 616am I looked at the alarm clock 8:36am...stupid alarm clock!
Panic over, I headed down stairs to do all those things we do in the morning before facing the morning. The forcast last night called for overcast, cold, drizzle and wind. The weather was dry, wind, overcast and cool. The day would continue that way with the sun breaking out occasionally. Jumped on the bike and headed to Norms. On the way I stopped for ciggarettes, and found they were out of Marlboros, (how can anyone be out of mobos?) At Norms I met the breakfast contingent, because breakfast is the most important part of the day, I mean it rates right up there with brunch, lunch, dinner, supper, and snacks. Reuben and Myself left before the rest of the crew so I could stop in New London for cigarettes and a lighter. Leaving the gas station I gave him my bike to ride while I took his gurple Honda 750. It was weird, stock exhaust, and small, no highway pegs and no heal shift, it felt like I was on a scooter. Reuben found that he can't use the forward pegs on my bike, the brake pedal is almost out of reach and the clutch is "different" than his.Three times on the way down he stalled coming off a light, I would hear, whump plphhh....damn!!!

                 Arriving at Ocean Beach we assisted in the set up,
 and stood around, as a matter of fact I did alot of that today...standing...standing and walking...and spending. The weather report kept a-lot of the bikes away, last year we had 780 this year about three hundred and forty. Not only did a lot of the bikes stay away but so did about 10 of the vendors. less vendors did not save me any money though, I bought two new vests and a bunch of patches.

                  The bike contsest was done different from most contests in that we had no "official" judges, we let the public decide, every there who wanted to could vote on the bikes, the winners are shown below.
                  Even with the crowd smaller it was a good day, except for the cold wind whipping across the food steamer trays making lunch luke warm it wasn't bad.

                  Quite a few members took the advantage to ride the New England Cycle Works display bikes, I took the trike and the fury out for a spin, As most did. I stayed away from the Goldwing trike, That will come later,(when I'm 80). I even rode bitch on the trike behind Brenda, I figured it was alright even though most members thought "bitch is not cool" I figured it didn't violate the rule, at no point was these more than two "balls on a bike".

               A few of the members wanted to try the Victorys out but were unable to, Myself I find Victorys ugly, It turned out, according to one of the Victory employees, that no one remembered to bring the keys to the bikes.

              The Blessing kicked off at 1:30 and worked out pretty well not to much josseling.

        After the Blessing it was time to pack up the equipment and put it away at the club. Once we finished Reuben, Jerry and myself headed to Groton for Indian food, (Not Jerry, he hates the stuff). So while Jerry continued past on his way home we pulled in and found it was open from 11am to 3pm, and from 5pm to 10pm. So we had Chinese and Japanese down the street, While we were there we ran into a girl who used to live on Moxley road, she said she had always wondered about the Club and could hear the bikes but was afraid to come down the club driveway because she was afraid we would "shoot her".  I assured her,it would have been ok for her to come down because we only shoot guys, she was very interested in Reuben and had a nice talk with him, right up until she asked him his age, he said 21, she said'"oh". and the smile left her face.

Blessing Photos below.

Contest Winners








klay

No comments:

Post a Comment