Saturday, January 16, 2010

What an absolutely beautiful Day

       The morning started like any other morning, the alarm clock went off. I hate the alarm clock and I have two. But funny thing, on a weekend, when the alarm goes off I’m up. For some reason it doesn’t work the same on weekdays, the snooze bar gets hit a lot…A Lot. Anyway, I digress, The alarm went off and I got up, washed, and dressed and headed out to get my bike. Unlike many people me and my bike are separated, I live in Mystic, it lives in New London. (It has a nice warm garage there). I picked it up made a call and headed to Dunkin Donuts on Colman street. At 9am Mister Dunn (the Road Captain for today’s ride) arrived.



We had coffee shot the shi… ah talked for a while then fueled up and hit the road. I decided since he has no heated gear I would rough it today and go unplugged. After about 4 miles we were in Waterford and I decided I needed a hat, ears were cold. So we pulled in the town hall and I donned my skunk fuzzy and a mask.




We started off again and headed west up rte 156 through Niantic, past Rocky Point and South Lyme, Lyme, and Hamburg to route 82. We turned right on route 82 then a left on 85 and headed to Colchester. I have to say, not being plugged in, my fingers got a little cold. We stopped at D&D in Colchester to restock the body heat before cutting across Colchester on Halls Hill rd, Norwich Av to Elm street which brought us onto route 16.
 A left on route 207 once again showed me how the hard compound Pirellis I have on the bike hate being cold as they kicked out on a heavy throttle take off. We cruised a bit on 207 before turning right onto Olinick rd. Here we found the first sand of the day, I hit it with my rear tire and the bike kicked out a bit before coming back on line, Dan hit it with his front and found his bike wanting to go in a different direction than what he had planned. Here’s where Dan and I differ on tactics, on a sandy road Dan drives very professionally and controlled, (slow) I prefer the balls to the wall method and opened it up. Both methods work fine, but Mine is more fun.


Since we were up that way we decided to visit Hazlet’s garage for a while before heading back. The road to Rick’s is a combination of ruts, potholes, last years leaves and mud. Once again I opted for the throttle method, I like dirt biking, Dan cautiously made his way down the road in order to reduce mud slinging.


After leaving Rick’s we once again traversed the mud flats then proceeded home via 207, 87 and 395. We took 395 to blow the carbon out of the bikes. 69.2 miles from when we started we stopped at the Club so Dan could turn the heat on for tonight’s party. As we were getting ready to leave the distinct sound of a V-Twin resonated in the air, shortly afterwards Dave and Margo arrived. Seems the nice weather was too much for them and they had to get the bike out.


At this point Dan went home to clean his bike, and I’m sure he was out there with soap and sponge and a myriad of small brushes and swabs getting every bit of dirt out. As for myself I headed south with Dave and Margo to New London. Dave and Margo headed up Phillips street to start their ride I headed to the garage where I gave my bike a wash, (consisting of a quick hosing) then put the bike away.


Dan said he found his smile today…between the throttle and his ass. (And, no Adrianne, this does not mean his head is up his…you know).


All in all a great day for a ride. We receive a-lot of looks from people, you know that look, (see previous blog entry) but as Rick says, “They just don’t get it”.






klay

1 comment: