Friday, November 8, 2013

The Fight Ain't Over Yet, Pappy!


Looks like the helmet debate is about to get heated once again. This link http://www.bikebandit.com/community/articles/national-motorcycle-helmet-law?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=community_article&utm_campaign=national_helmet_law_11_8  goes to an article that Bike Bandit posted to Facebook. The article indicates that there may be a push for a national helmet law and is based upon information from the American Motorcycle Association. It may be in this month’s AMA magazine.

Personally, I prefer to ride with a helmet. I've ridden without one and experienced the freedom that goes along with it. I had locked my helmet to my handlebars and had left the key to the lock home! I actually did this twice before switching to a combination lock.

It was quite exhilarating and I loved the feeling. Both occasions happened to be beautiful warm and sunny summer days. During the Gift Ride last Sunday, I couldn't help but wonder how those riding without any headgear (not even a knit cap)could be comfortable riding in 40 degree weather?

I've also crashed and appreciated the protection the helmet provided me. You never think its going to happen to you, but regardless of how careful or skilled a rider you might be, you can't account for the other people sharing the road with you.

I still believe that each rider should be able to make their own choice about their level of safety equipment. It can start with helmets today and then lead into jackets, boots, gloves, riding pants and who knows what else down the road. Then where does it end? Outlawing motorcycles all together?

Still this has to be taken seriously. Look at what's happened with automobiles with seat belts and airbags.



2 comments:

  1. As one of those nuts riding without even a hat last Sunday, let me assure you, it was very pleasant. The horns will come out when it gets cold, like at night or in January! My thought on the subject of safety is wrought from experience. If you feel you need a helmet to feel safe, then wear one. I have gone down once, and it's well known that I hit a deer on I-95 doing 65mph with a passenger. Both times I put it in God's hands and enjoyed the freedom of sight and sound that riding without a helmet grants me. There are countless stories of people who go down and break every bone in their bodies, yet not a scratch to their unprotected noggin. And even more stories of people who go down and die wearing the bucket. I, for one, let God decide. If he wants you, you can put a bubble wrap suit on with the best helmet money can buy, but you're still gone. We need to make as much noise on this subject as our brothers did in the seventies, knowing we cannot trust the snakes we elected in this blue state! For some reason these people don't think that adults should be allowed to make decisions for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Dave. Does anyone know the exact steps taken by Pappy or others to keep this freedom of choice in the past?

      A lot of people make a lot of noise, but they don't always get very far. We have to be smart about this.

      Delete