Monday, November 4, 2013

Ride Report: 34th Annual Gift Run 11/3/13

The morning was cold (40’s) and grey, but turn out for the Gift Run was pretty good. As I pulled into the Dunkin Donuts on Coleman Street I found the whole back of the lot filled with bikes. By my estimate there had to be about 25 bikes in our group. I was happy to see Doug Young at the event, even if he isn’t ready to start riding again just yet.










Shortly after making the rounds of greetings, Tom called a Rider’s Meeting. Joe Fogarty and John Cherrick would make the Right Road Guard Team and Mark Beebe and I would make the Left Road Guard Team. But Jim Moran blocked traffic with his truck while we all pulled out of the parking lot.

We headed down Coleman Street to Bank Street where Road Guards were deployed as the group turned left. Doug and Linda Young were trailing in a car, followed by Jim and Jason. As Doug approached the intersection he hesitated, probably thinking that he’d hold back the traffic while the Road Guards were recovered, but Mark wanted him to pull ahead of us because Mark was in communication with Tom via the CB. Finally Doug pulled through followed by Jim and a number of other cars.

Separated from the group, Mark led the Road Guards down Shaw Street that ended at a traffic circle where it connects with Howard Street and we rejoined the group. We pulled into Stash’s as a complete group and met up with a few members who had gone their directly.






Entering Stash’s we paid $8 for breakfast at the bar and were given a paper plate. This money was being donated to the Department of Developmental Services. 

They had two large tables set up in the back with a large fruit platter, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage patties, home fries, French toast sticks, donuts, cookies and raisin bread. I think there was coffee, but I didn’t go looking for it. 



The place was packed with our club, a few other clubs and individual riders. I found a spot at a tall table with Rich and Daniella Jones, but stools were at a premium so I stood while I ate and enjoyed their company.


 At least Santa got a seat!

 Notice Mark is not wearing a hat. This will be important later in our story.






Our bellies full, we headed out to the parking lot for more conversation before departing on our ride. Tom had us line up in the road, making sure everyone was ready before we took off. Riding up to Bank Street and through downtown New London we hopped onto I95 over the Gold Star Bridge to Rt. 117 in Groton. Taking a right off the exit we headed to Rt. 1 and Mystic where we brought the pace down to a crawl. Quite a few heads turned as our group stretched out for two blocks. Crossing the drawbridge we made a left at the traffic circle and ended up heading North on Rt.27. 



We passed the Mystic Seaport and the snack shops that were closed for the season. As we came up to the Mystic Diner I couldn’t help but think of Moose Balls, but we had just eaten a late breakfast.

There were a number of traffic lights that caused our group to be separated. There was some confusion as we came to the fork with Shewville Road. Tom pulled slowly to the left but it appeared that he wanted us to continue straight up Shewville. Mark and Dan lead us, calling for single file and we pulled to the side of the road to wait. I assumed that Tom was holding back to check on the tail end of our group. Lance and Melissa road up on their purple Ultra Glide to inform us that Tom want us to turn around and join him.

We continued up to Rt. 184 where Tom deployed the Road Guards again. After the group got onto Rt. 184, and we were ready to recover Road Guards, Mark held back and indicated that I should go ahead of him. This didn’t make sense since I don’t have a CB and had to follow him. I pulled to the shoulder in front of him and allowed Joe and John to pass. Still Mark indicated that I should go ahead. 

Joe and John were already at the front of the line as I started to pass the group. Wanting to make up for lost time I shifted into top gear and let her rip. I didn’t want to keep the group in single file any longer than necessary. Half way up the line, Vinny Pons pulled out of single file. I was coming up on him fast and looked to see if I could pull around him but there was a car coming in the opposite direction. So I started to slow down, but it was little late and I needed to brake hard. I locked up the rear tire and felt it slip out to the right as it let out a loud screech. Mark said it sent up nice size cloud of smoke too. (Damn, I just put those tires on recently!) Vinny pulled back to single file and I made it back to the front with no more incidents. But I wondered why Mark didn't resume his position ahead of me.

As we merged onto I95 South and moved into the center lane I noticed a bike remained in the left lane and was passing the group. I thought it might be Mark, but instead it was Steve Distacio. Tom waived me to back off and Steve slipped into the lead Road Guard spot.

We exited at Cross Road and continued down to Rt. 1 where we made a left and continued to Rt. 213 and Camp Harkness. After parking John Cherrick stated that he ran over something that made a popping sound on Cross Road and after that he felt like his rear tire was going flat. After checking his air pressure it was determined that it was light with only about 30 psi, but not flat. Joe Fogarty had a portable air pump with him, but I didn’t see them inflate the tire.



 This was just our group

We sauntered into Harkness Hall where we handed in our gifts to benefit Individuals with Developmental Disabilities and the Harkness Fund.











There was a wide variety of Dunkin Donuts being served by some lovely young ladies. Hot coffee was being poured, but Dave Adams held out until the hot chocolate was ready. We reposed to the picnic tables outside. It was still overcast but the temperature wasn’t too cold, there was no wind and we had cups of hot chocolate and coffee in our hands.


 The Haymond Girls warm up with hot beverages.









It wasn’t long before Tom was telling stories and imparting useful information; kind of like Aesop’s Fables for bikers. He had a rapt audience.










The photographer called Jason over to pose with the "Haymond Girls"

Wasn't this same shot in last season's Haymond Law Motorcycle Events Calendar?
Some guys have all the luck!


Those guys on Sons of Anarchy need a lawyer on every episode;
 are you sure there's nothing I can do for you?










Jim, Tom, Doug, Mark, John, Joe and a few others headed toward the entrance to direct parking and the rest of us slowly followed their lead to see all the bikes come in. 



Notice the hat. This is what I thought Mark had pulled out of the group for earlier, but I later learned it was due to something else. Curry Goat for dinner last night.





It was quite orderly at first, and as I’ve seen in year’s past, as the best spots become filled up, bikers start ignoring instructions and cut across the field rather than following the road around. Tammy was counting the bikes as they came in and came up with 370. With our 25 that makes 395 bikes that showed up to the event.







Over Here!

















 Even Santa has to wait in line!


Members started leaving as things started to wind down. I rode out with Mark Beebe, Dan Dunn, Paul Neves with his daughter, Craig Knutson and Jim Evans. We were following a trike made out of a bright yellow ’67 Mustang and piloted by Santa Claus.



Mark turned off at Jefferson Avenue and the rest of the group followed Dan straight on Bank Street. As we passed under the Gold Star Bridge Dan let his new bike loose and we had a difficult time keeping up. One by one we went our separate ways. It was a very nice day, but I'm sure we would have ridden more if it was warmer or sunnier.

For more pictures and video, check out Mark's blog 07Dyna: http://07dyna.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-gift-run.html

1 comment: