Saturday, May 11, 2013

My Thursday

I know it's Saturday, but I can't talk about Friday because all I did was ride to work, and home.

I can't talk about today because I am at work and not getting paid for it...so Thursday.

          Charlene had been a bit more chattery in the top end than I remembered, but seeing as the cold weather just ended and I am now riding without a hat pulled over my ears,,,I just wasn't sure. So a week ago I called Ocean State Harley Davidson to set up an appointment, I believe they looked at the Satellite weather forecasting system, called NOAA, and checked the Farmers Almanac and told me I could come in a week from Thursday.

So seeing as I have been to Ocean State a number of times before, I threw on my chaps and jacket, grabbed the cowboy hat and amber lens glasses and hit the road at 8:30am. The rain was light, sort of like a spring shower, that lasted up until I hit the interstate, at which point the rain came down fairly heavy.

         At this point I would like to say...I hate tractor trailer trucks, and between the Mystic reservoir and the North Anguilla overpass I was stuck behind three of them. It was sort of a cyclone of water saturated turbulence. Once clear though, I brought the speed up and the rain really wasn't much of an issue, although I can say leather is a great insulator from the rain...up to a point, after that it doesn't much matter if you are wearing it or not. Except maybe as an insulator from the impact of the rain.
         Rolling into the Valley of Hope (Rhode Island), I remembered how much I really love being on a bike, a pine forest in the rain is a joy, the pine smell surrounds you as the forest peaks out of the mist.

I made a stop and grabbed a coffee at Micky Dee's at exit three then headed to Harley. I arrived at 8:55am, pulled in and walked up to the door. I like being there as they open so the bike gets right in. Since I was planning on waiting for the bike, the earlier you get it in, the earlier it gets finished.  The door had a sign on it..Tuesday, Friday, Saturday 9am-,  Wednesday and Thursday  10am -6pm. After sitting on a rocking chair for a bit, staring at the pavilion I decided to take a ride. It's a good thing I like riding in the rain.

Back on the bike up route 3 past the "Middle of Nowhere"  turned right on 102. Took that over to route 2 then down 2 through Kingston to 112. 112 took me up to Carolina and 138. 138 to Wyoming and back on route 3. Taking my time for the ride got me back to Oceanstate at 10:02.
         Charlene got her fluids changed and was given a clean bill of health. Back on the road, once more into the wet. The rain gave up and the roads started to dry by the time I went to the Diner in Mystic for coffee, then went to Mikes for a while checking out the used bikes, where I ran into Dave Adams.

         Cruised around a bit more then headed home. I parked the bike just as the first clap of thunder sounded. All I can say is I am glad I was inside for the downpour that followed.

         After the storm (and around 5:30pm) I headed to Mikes for my free hot dog and to meet Dave Adams for the Club ride. He lead the ride and I took up the tail gunner position, we had a nice tight formation and during our hour and a half ride to the Club, by way of Griswold. we caught about three hundred feet of sprinkles. 

******************
Moral of the story....
Ah....
         After the service, which consisted of an oil and filter change, Charlene is much quieter. Her scheduled services are at 5000 miles and 10000 miles. Charlene was at 7400 when the noises started.

      The scheduled Synthetic oil changes are too far apart. Synthetic or not 2500 miles is when the oil needs to be changed. The service writer said a lot of their customers do a change every 2500 or 3000 miles.


klay



No comments:

Post a Comment