Friday, September 23, 2011

Steak!!!!

The Riders of Fire Steak night was tonight and the Riders put on a great feed as usual.Included in the invite was us and the Freedom Riders.

The Club met at Dunkin for a 5:30 A.O.B. (Ass on Bike) but due to the weather most members caged it. From there we ran up 32 to 2A and across the river to the Poquetonuck Firehouse. The Riders had invited us and the Freedom Riders for a Social evening.

The food was outstanding  and plenty of it, The Riders cooked the steak on the grille (covered BBQ pit) and it was excellent and if a giant slab of Dead Cow carcass grilled on an open pit isn't enough for you fear not because there was baked beans, corn on the cob, baked potato's, salad and bread to go with it, plus apple sauce and muffins.

Everyone enjoyed themselves getting together with old friends and meeting new ones. It turns out one of the Riders used to hang out with the same guys I came up through the Fire Service with, so we shared a couple stories. The Riders also held a 50/50 with the profits going to the New London Homeless Vets and the winner of the raffle gave the pot back to the Riders to add to the other half.

Now a little about the weather, at the meeting is was said no one would be on bikes because of the rain. No one on bikes? in my opinion that was a no no, we're a motorcycle club, so I put on my leathers called Danny and busted his chops about taking a car. It rained on the way to Dunkin and I found my old chaps are no longer waterproof, knees down...soaked. But the rain pretty much stopped before the ride to the FD. Danny arrived on Bike. Evert said he was millimeters from riding but saw the report for later and took his car. He told us we were going to get slammed on the way home. After the meal and coffee and socializing we started heading out, I had to make it a point to tell Evert that it wasn't raining. Hey, rule 5062, never let an occasion to rub something in go by, you never know when the chance will come again.

I cruised down 117 and as I arrived in Ledyard the rain started coming down. Now this would not have been bad if I were cruising along but I was behind traffic in Ledyard Center and nobody speeds through Ledyard. After jumping on Col.Ledyard highway I lost the traffic, picked up speed and the rest of the ride was a joy, although I did have to wring my beard out a couple times.

There is one more point about the ride home, you all know that dusk and early evening darkness brings out the wild life so I was on my guard to watch for it, and there was a lot around, but not the fluffy fuzzy kind, the entire ride down 117 and Col. Ledyard I was dipping the bike back and forth to avoid them...Frogs.

They were everywhere.

Have you ever wondered how much grip you can maintain in a corner when you are leaning it over and there are frogs between the tread and the road.  That thought wrangled through my mellon for most of the ride, luckily, I didn't get the chance to find out.

klay

No comments:

Post a Comment