Saturday, December 8, 2012

Personal Beasties

The rain was coming down in that fine spray, almost a mist, the type of rain you hardly feel yet soaks you through real fast. The sky had that dismal gray winter look, it is the gray that depresses you instantly, weighs upon your heart,  It's that gray that by March you have already had four months of and it permeates life, both your skin and your soul match that dismal color and you would not be upset to find the world had ended. But being as this is early December, it is tolerable and you still have an inner light left over from the warmer months. As you cruise down the road your bike is  putting up a rooster tail in the air behind you and your tires make that shh-hushing sound as they roll along the wet pavement. 

The only thing this day has going for it is the temperature, sure the summer sun has disappeared, the sun that warms you to the bone and beyond, but this day the winter sun has taken a break. It isn't warm out, but it is warmer than when the winter sun is shining, it's as if the  world has pulled the clouds around it to keep the heat in as you would with a blanket on your bed. 

Still any warm day is better than a cold one and a little rain, soaking you through or not, is no reason not to ride. Warm means you have less layers on, you are not encumbered in clothes, unable to bend or to move without restriction, this is light leathers and a towel riding weather. 

It is not that I want to ride or I don't want to ride, for me it is as if there is no choice, I have to ride, if I don't then I deny that inner being, a beast which hates sitting still. The more I stay inside the more powerful it becomes and sooner or later it spills out and having your beast loose amoungst the living is not a desired thing. So I ride, and the beast stays submerged, I can feel it there always, hiding in that pocket of your body where your soul lives, and as long as the wheels are turning I can feel it smile.

klay

1 comment: