Monday, December 10, 2012

Have you ever said, "I don't know" about food?

You know what I am talking about correct? You are at a party, or out with some friends  or perhaps you are sitting at your desk minding your own business when someone comes up to you and say's, "Hey, try this".

Well the last one happened to me today. I was sitting at my desk when one of my guys came to me holding a jar. The jar, a mason jar, had a unidentifiable collection of green things that appeared to be stuffed with meat and perhaps cheese and there was a swirling mass of specks which seemed to be swimming around in what could be thirty weight motor oil in it.

Now I have had stuffed cherry peppers, both sweet and hot and they are pretty good, but this, while looking vaguely similar to those was different. First the peppers looked to be more like jalapeno instead of cherry, and there usually aren't specks and unknown objects floating in the embryonic fluid.

After a second of deliberation I suggested taking the peppers out of the slime and placing them on a plate. He did that and there they sat as I looked at them. The first thing I noticed was that the peppers, (did that one just move?), were all wrinkly and veiny. The meat prosciutto, I am told, was hanging out the ends and everything glimmered in a gelatinous sheen with cheese nodules in the pepper ends looking almost like a coagulated yellowish white puss. 


But what the hey? I have found that some of the most wonderful tasting things look rather inedible.  Have you tried Pickled lamb tongue or Spanish Morcia?

In popped one in my mouth and they are fantastic, more sweet than hot, like a stuffed cheery pepper but a crispier snap and a nice sweet taste with a hint of tingle on the side of the tongue, absolutely delightful to eat. 

As a matter of fact I have had five of them since I started writing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment