Friday, December 7, 2012

Connecticut Motorcycle laws

I was reading the Connecticut Motorcycle laws this morning, I found what this State considers a motorcycle.

Motorcycle is a Motor Vehicle:

1.with or without a side car.
2.Having not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.
3.Has a saddle or a seat which the rider sits 
or
has a platform on which the rider stands.
4.Vehicle having or designed to have a completely enclosed driver's seat and a motor which is not in an enclosed area.
5. Motor produces more than 5 brake horsepower. 
***************************************************

Now you know what a motorcycle looks like.

I myself am now confused, OK I understand the sidecar bit and I understand the wheel count. The next one loses me on two spots. Point 3 states "a saddle or a seat for the rider" if I read point 4 correctly, which specifically refers to "driver's seat" then the rider is a passenger. Which is all right, I would think you who want a saddle or a seat for both the driver and the rider though, but...OK. The line that confuses me is the second part of point 3. "or has a platform on which the rider stands". Who stands? The rider (passenger) or is it rider (driver), and why is someone standing?  Is there a bike you stand on?

Point 4 "a vehicle having or designed to have a completely enclosed drivers seat".  Fully enclosed?   Where?

The more I look at these what determines a motorcycles rules I begin wonder if maybe the State is actually talking about lawn care equipment, although I don't believe I have seen many trike lawn mowers. But I have seen the type you stand on to operate, and the ones that have the canvas enclosure.

klay

No comments:

Post a Comment