Tuesday, September 4, 2012

I sent a letter to Connecticut D.O.T.

I don't know about you but I am not the biggest fan of the newer cross-walk design, there's something about leaning your bike into a corner in the rain and crossing those big white paint blocks that I am not overly fond of. More than once I have had the joy of a little side slide.

So...I sent this:

THE CROSS WALK DESIGN USED TODAY (LARGE PAINTED BLOCKS), ARE VERY VISABLE, BUT IN RAIN, ON A MOTORCYCLE, SLIPPERY AS ICE. WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO LOOK INTO A NEW DESIGN. INSTEAD OF RECTANGLES A TRIANGLE IN THE MIDDLE AND ANGLED BLOCKS TO BOTH SIDES. I MADE UP A SIMPLE PLAN FOR THE DESIGN BUT THERE IS NO WAY TO ATTACH IT. THE CROSSWALKS ARE BAD ENOUGH WHEN YOU ARE GOING STRAIGHT AND HIT ONE (WHICH IS WHY MOST RIDERS TRY TO AIM BETWEEN THEM), BUT AT INTERSECTIONS WITH THE BIKE LEANED OVER FOR THE CORNER THERE IS NO WAY TO AVOID THE PAINT. ANGELLED PARALLELOGRAMS WITH A TRIANGLE TO FILL THE CENTER SHOULD LEAVE ROOM FOR MOTORCYCLES TO PASS BETWEEN THE PAINT BLOCKS. 

My design for a starting point of re-design:

The angles may need a little work, or even curving them, but this should allow a bike to pass through a corner and avoid the paint.

klay

No comments:

Post a Comment