Sunday, July 10, 2011

One of the Best days I've had

The date was July 10, 2011, That's right...today.

For those of you who do not know, I have one parent newly in a nursing home, one handicapped at home. I have P.O.A. which means, I pay the bills, I handle... oh hell...everything, from taxes and bills to Garbage and laundry. There is constantly something that needs doing. So most of the time while I go out for a ride, there is something going on in my head as to what else needs to be done. Today, not at all. This was one of those days I don't have very often, not one thing entered my head today except the ride, the bike and the people I was with. Today was extraordinary!!!

I got up, cleaned the house (a bit) did some laundry and headed out the door, If you rode today you'll know what I am saying, if you didn't...this is what you missed, the air this morning was warm, yet comfortably cool, the air was fresh and there was absolutely no humidity. So even later in the day, when it got warm (spelled HOT) it was still comfortable, the simple act of rotating a throttle made all things right. It was a day bikers kill for.

I headed to Flanders Four corners for the rendezvous, I was the second to arrive after Jeremy, but the lot soon began to fill.  Dan was met by Diesel, the President of "Krucial Perception" a Motorcycle Club from North Carolina, he was up here with his wife for Sailfest , without his bike. he met and talked with everyone hoping sometime in the future to meet again.

We left Flanders at about 10:08 and ran 95 south, We pretty much stayed to the right lane except near the Lieutenant River were we moved left to get past a truck which had traffic slowing a bit, about the same time we moved left the highway opened up to multiple lanes and with the traffic dispersing it took a while to catch the truck and pass it, about 8 miles, but we did and continued along til we exited the highway at rte 77 in Guilford. As we came down the ramp the Road Captain moved out of the commuter lot and held the intersection, we made the turn cruised a bit then went single file for him to come past the Club and take the lead. (Truth be known, the Road Captain had just arrived when we came off the highway). Steve took us north on some really nice roads, the kind that make you glad you have fresh air to breath and a bike beneath you. He took us up 77 to...ah...well.. let's see, the was...Durham and ahh...Prospect...Wallingford...and ah...oh the Hell with it....Here I made you a Map, it went something like this....more or less.

Well Probably less than more, but you get the point.

We had lunch at Aunt Chilada's, get it.... It's a Mexican style food restaurant...Aunt Chiladas..Enchiladas...Yea...It's a food you foolish Gringo.

http://www.auntchilada.com/

After eating Steve rounded us up and headed south...Down into Hamden and up East Rock for a quick look see, or look off in this case.







Leaving East Rock, Steve took us down into New Haven then jumped on 91, crossed to 95 and headed to Branford where we got off the highway and headed for ice cream.

Steve would lead one more time that day, from the ice cream stop along rte 80 where he headed home Left 1500 feet, 250 feet left.  I retook the lead and continued along 80 to Deep River, at which point we picked up route 154. I had planned on continuing up to Goodspeed and crossing the Connecticut there but a quick chat with El Presidente' and we decided it was time to take a boat ride.

After crossing the River we took rte 82 down to Salem, bikes began to break off going their own ways, we crossed 85 and after passing old Colchester rd I was leading Vincent, Ginny and Craig. I broke off waved my goodbyes and grabbed 163 down to Raymond Hill, Fitch Hill and Gallivan to 32, picked up 2A across the Thames, through Poke your Tongue out. Then found another bike (Non-Club) and we stretched the throttles out up 117 to 214, Shewville to Old Mystic, we separated I headed across 184 onto 27 and made a stop at the Equinox for coffee.

The end of a fantastic, not a care in the world day.

I want to Thank Steve for the Route, Smurph for his Road Guard work and Craig for tail gunning. No flaws anywhere. I want to thank the rest of the Club for ...being the Club. What a great bunch of people.


klay

No comments:

Post a Comment