Monday, June 6, 2011

Radio Shack!!!

You have to love them, I went to the New London store a few months ago to buy a power adapter to run the portable CB  off the bike cigarette lighter. The New London store was very helpful, they said "what?" scratching their head. They told me to try the Waterford store. I went to the Crystal Mall and the counter help knew exactly what I wanted, pulled it off the shelf and I bought the adapter.

Well after getting smashed into the tank the old one shorted out. So today i went to the New London store with the old one, they said " oh, we have those"..the Guy walked over to the display checked the pin size and sold me a straight adapter. I took the unit outside, plugged it in the lighter and found it would work great...as long as I don't turn the front wheel. When you turn the wheel the power adapter smashes into the gas tank. I took the adapter into the store, explained the problem and told him I needed an angled unit. The counter guy smiled took back the old one and sold me a angled adapter. I took it out to the bike to make sure it cleared the tank. Satisfied the new unit would fit I threw it in the saddlebag and went on my merry way.

I got back to work, measured out the wire on my original adapter and got ready to cut and solder the new one. The adapters come through with 6 feet of wire and that is way too much to have wrapped around the bars.

So, having to work on a customer I stopped what I was doing, when finished I lined the adapter up to make sure of the wire length and I happened to look at the adapter. The old adapter had different settings on it, 4.5,6,9,10,and 12 volts. The new adapter has 3,4.5,6,7.5, and 9volts.

Now if you just sold someone an adapter for 12volts don't you suppose the next one with the correct fit would also be 12volts?  I guess they don't train that into their people.

No comments:

Post a Comment