Thursday, June 2, 2011

The DC Ride...Rolling Thunder...Episode 5....The Yuchniuk Report

Tom With Airforce Sergeant

Marine and Airforce Sergeants at attention. The Marine stood at attention for three hours straight, The Airforce tried to relieve him, but he declined relief. The Airforce Sergeant joined him and stood at attention for the remaining two hours.


Photos taken on Constitution Avenue, Disposable camera


According to the Police there were 400,000 motorcycles this year, down from 500,000 last year.
I decided not to ride in this years parade since I had done so before, this year I watched the parade instead and met a lot of people. Among the people I met were the airforce sergeant who was in Vietnam from 69-70, I was there during the same time period so we had a lot to share. I was stopped by the Gold Star Mothers who having seen my Veteran patch invited me to dinner as their guest. We went and we all had a good time, but I wasn't about to let them pay so I picked up the tab because of all they do, all the time. I met a couple Marines and we went to the Iwo Jima Memorial (United States Marine Corps War Memorial) and they invited me to a party.

I had a great time, met a lot of people and visited a number of sites. In the 10+ times that I have been there to honor the Veterans that gave all and those still giving , I have met many Vet's and have found new friends with a lot in common , this is a good time to talk about our time in-country (therapy?) . Then we are off .  Every time seems to be a little  better than the time before
The only drawback  was the heat and humidity, making everything sweat, including my feet (boots). So I am hobbling a bit with a blister but it was well worth it.


T. Yuchniuk


No comments:

Post a Comment