Friday, June 11, 2010

Well it's here...

I went out today amd bought a Hewlet Packard laptop to replace the PC that was damaged by lightning. I brought it home in it's decorative box, set it in the corner on the other side of the room and there it sits. I have done a bunch of other things since it arrived, including typing this, with the computer downstairs.

It's always like this when I buy a new computer, call it fear...or apprehension. I say that because I know it will work fine, but I get attached to things, the damaged computer still works, it just doesn't go online. The old computer has everything I've collected in the 5 years since the one before it bought the farm.The old computer has all the programs I use to edit photos adjust lighting, crop, or add special effects, (It is actually three seperate programs), plus I have about a dozen or so video setups, some for editing and publishing, others for viewing. DIVX, FLV, MPEG, to name a few. You see that's what the fear is, it is because I know, that I have to download all those programs again, and I'm not talking about the ones that you have to do just taking the thing out of the box and setting it up. wait for each to load, then move to the next, It's the programs you forget you have, you downloaded them years ago...the computer uses them each and everyday and you have no idea where you found them or what they are called..until...you are in the middle of a project and the computer stares back at you blankly, and does nothing. You get that stupid Microsoft box that askes if you want to use a program on your computer (Stupid computer, if the program was there, it would already be doing it and it wouldn't have to ask me foolish questions) or it say's "unidentified program, do you want to search the web to find it?" Well if the computer can't identify it it means I will be looking for something that I don't know the name of and that I probably spent a long time looking for it before.

I know all this will happen, it happens every time..that is why it is sitting in the box...on the other side of the room....waiting....waiting for me to resign myself to the task.

Maybe tomorrow...

Maybe not.

klay

No comments:

Post a Comment