Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The end is nigh...

I went out on the bike this evening, the air was soft and warm. The smells of summer hanging in the air. I stopped by at the Q for a cup of Greek Coffee, Strong, the way coffee should be, the aroma filling my nostrils, the nectar flowing over my tongue, reviving my spirit, my essence. As I sat there under the umbrella watching cars passing behind Charlene, there was something telling me the end is on the way.

 Summer seems to be the shortest season of the year, it flies by while the more miserable cold wet seasons seem to drag on in an unending line of depressing gray days. I finished my coffee and decided in honor of Charlene and the Summer months, to have a glass of Merlot. 

Cars continued to pass by as I enjoyed my glass, then it struck me...that feeling that the season was ending, it wasn't because of some deep set visceral knowledge of the seasons brought on by thousands of years of human existence and inherent primal knowledge...it was a sound in the air. A sound that comes every year towards the end of the month of Augustus, It is a song.

The season has reached that point where as the day moves into night the Family Tettigoniidae arrive. They awaken from their day time slumber and move out into the world, each playing its instrument sporadically yet with thousands of them moving about it becomes a chorus filling the night air with the song of the end of Summer.

Soon Fall will be upon us, sooner than you think, for the seasons speed by faster all the time.


From the Kingdom of Animalia, and the Phylum of Anthropoda, The class insecta  and the Order of Orthoptera, The Sub-order Ensifera and the Infraorder of Tettigoniidea, I give you Tettigoniidae, The Katydid. 

So the season moves to an end, pushing me to rush out and enjoy it while I can, grab every moment of it, breath it in, wrap the warm air around me, the wind in my face, the bike leaning into the curves, sweeping down the hills, let it fill my soul, and enjoy it, not letting a minute of riding time pass me by

...or...


I could have another glass of Merlot, sit back, enjoy the warm night air and watch the world go by...

yeah..

That's what I'll do.

klay

No comments:

Post a Comment