Friday, May 25, 2012

It just dawned on me why...

Right after I bought my Glide I tripped over the Harley Davidson Cross Bones at Oceanstate Harley in Warwick. I was instantly enamoured with it. It just struck a cord with me. I wanted one, not as a primary bike but as a second bike. There was something about that bike that pulled my heart strings, but I never really thought about why... Thursday I received my copy of J&P Motorcycle's "Vintage Catalog". There in the confines of the book I saw it, the Cross-Bones. Of course it wasn't the Cross-bones...it was a 1946 Harley Flat-head Bobber. It struck me...the Cross Bones was an attempt at resurrecting the past.  Harley Named it wrong is all. Throw on some fish tail pipes, unload the up swept rear fender for a standard fender and there you are, a gas tank mounted on a bare frame, a springer, and a spring solo seat. I want one more now than ever, but...Harley stopped making it...again, and I still can't afford a second bike. But you never know, maybe I will be able to pick up a used one, or somewhere down the line Harley will roll another version off the Milwaukee assembly line. Maybe this time they will drop the cartoon skull and cross-bones and call it what it is...."The 46"






klay

No comments:

Post a Comment