Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Sunday Bidwells Ride

Before I tell you of the ride, let me tell you where I'm coming from:
When the Club announced it was riding to DC and Jim asked if I would lead Sunday's ride I was more than happy to do so. Not being able to go to DC (or anywhere else this year for that matter), I had no problem with the task. But..where to go? Originally it was to be Hooters in Warwick, but I had just gone to Hooters in Manchester a few weeks earlier on Dave's ride, and the truth be said Hooters is Hooters no matter which you go to.
I knew one thing for sure, I would not be going on Pappy's Run. Don't misunderstand me, I am glad Pappy and the others fought and won the right to "Let those who ride decide". I am truly thankful to them for I hate wearing a helmet. But, Pappy's Ride is equal to amateur night at a bar. Too many bikes, too many people who are out of control, and too short a ride. It's amazing how many riders come out of the woodwork for that ride, it's like their bikes were in storage all winter, they dust them off and want to show off. trouble is, they have nothing to show off, sure there are some damn pretty bikes, but it would appear that a lot of the "bikers" on them can't ride. They spend more time honking and waving and waddling around than riding. Any time our ride today crossed a main road, there they were, paddle footing their bikes off stop signs, walking them through intersections. I have one thing to say to them...L E A R N   T O    R I D E. Sure they can all use their throttles, racing back and forth going nowhere, but when it comes time to go slow or maneuver its back to paddle feet. And for some reason I have yet to discover, Harley Owners blip their throttles when slowing, lets be real, 80% of the bikes out there are fuel injected, just ride your damn bike, It isn't like the old days when Harley's had trouble maintaining an idle. And if you're doing it to sound impressive.. you're failing. Have you ever noticed those bikers who have to make noise when they see other bikers? Blip the throttle, crank it up off a stop sign. HEY!!! If you are trying to impress me, think again, we can all make noise, you want to be cool, try lifting your feet onto your pegs and stop walking your bike off the line, if you can do that without falling over...I'll be impressed.

Sorry, now today's ride.
 Dana stole a lot of my riders by going on Pappy's ride to show the colors and support because after all Pappy was a former President of our Club. His A.O.B. was at 10am, with a 9am breakfast at Herbs on 32. Our ride had a 10am A.O.B. at Dunkin on 32, I know this caused a little confusion because we had some who were heading to Pappy's arrive at Dunkin.
That was quickly sorted out and at 10am we hit the road. All 5 of us, 4 bikes with one bike two up, The fog burned off nicely and the sun came out, it turned out to be a beautiful day for riding. we went up 163 to Oxoboxo then crossed to Old Colchester. turned right on 82 and a left on Doyle rd, left on Cottage, left on Lake to Scott hill. here I stopped to let the riders know that most of the roads were to be back roads and the rule of the day was "If it don't have a route number, we are single file" The speeds were smooth and constant and single file meant no one had to ride in the gutter unless they wanted to and I removed my jacket (**). We crossed onto Waterman rd and took that up to 87 in Lebanon, then a left on 207.
We continued on 207 till Clubhouse, ran that till we passed the girl in yellow top and hot pants then turned left. I'm sorry..we stayed on Clubhouse until we reached it's end and turned on to Tobacco. Where Tobacco turns to dirt we took Chesbro Bridge rd then left on Pine. The air temperature was increasing and the air filled with the smells of pines, flowers, ponds, grass and trees. A left at the end of Pine and we were on Leonard Bridge rd, took that past the other end of Tobacco and down onto rte 207 again. At the end of 207 we turned right on 87, crossed rte 66 and picked up East street. East street runs pretty much straight as an arrow but there are a couple turns and elevations. East street becomes Hebron road and amazing enough...it takes you into Hebron? No Bolton. In Bolton we turned onto Bolton Center road than grabbed a quick left onto Steele Crossing rd over to rte 6. A right turn on 6 and the first left onto South Street (great road) South takes you past Nathan Hale State Forest, and Nathan Hale Homestead Museum (***) and Wangumbaug Lake. We turned left onto Cross street then left on Lake Street to the Nathan Hale Cemetery where we turned right on to Monument Hill rd. We pulled up at the end of Monument and Vince points at his tank and let me know if we were going much further he would need a fuel stop. I pointed across the street (rte 31) at Bidwell Tavern, "We are going there".

We did what most people do at Bidwells, we ate, but before I mention the return trip, I would like to comment on one of the asterisk above,
(**)  Tom taught me a while back to have your GPS in your pocket, and it works, In real terms it's called a piece of paper. On it you scribe your route, Left Smith, Left Jones, right Johnson, etc.. I have done this in the past and it is there if you forget a street you need. just reach up with your left hand to you chest pocket, pull out the slip, take a peak, then put it back. I made such a list today. I had been on a lot of these roads before, usually following Rick, and truth be known, I';m usually too busy watching the back of his bike and whats going on around me and not what road connects with what road. usually with Rick its more a case of dumping out of a back road and saying," Hey I know where this is". Well I had a list this morning..I had the list in my pocket when I left Dunkin, and I had it in my pocket when we arrived at Bidwells, trouble is, it was my jacket pocket and I put that in my saddle bag as we picked up Waterman. So I was shooting from memory, sort of like,I know its a left....I know its a left, there's a left, the street name is...ah...Cross...Cross?...yeah...that sounds familiar. Luckily for me I hit them all correctly and never had to make a "Tactical maneuver".

Before leaving Bidwells we sent Vince up to the gas station, once he was back we took 31 to 32, then a right onto Cider Mill road, then left on Flanders River road to rte 66, turned left then a right onto Cards Mill road (at TSI) took that to the fork then turned left onto Village Hill road, there should be an emphasis on Hill because that is all it is...UP Hill, lots of corners, but Up hill. At the end of Village Hill we turned right onto 289 and took that down to 87 then 207 in Lebanon. We took 207 across to 32, climbed up Franklin Hill, made a stop at a friends house (hey...She's Hot) then we took 32 to Yantic and made a stop for fuel for Dave (and Coffee for Carey). And that was the end of the ride, Dave and Margo headed home (for a nap, getting old you know), Vince headed west and Carey and Myself went through Norwich to rte 2, he took 214 at Foxwoods for home, and I went to Mystic.

Great day!!!
klay
The other Asterisk (***)
When we went by the Nathan Hale Homestead there was a sign out front, there is going to be a revolutionary happening there in June, it is called "Revolution! Cannons & Cavalry at the Nathan Hale Homestead"  10:30am to 4:30pm. June 12th. Sounds impressive, trouble is..I'm sure we have something scheduled for that day. But if we don't!!! ...

.

No comments:

Post a Comment