Monday, May 30, 2011

The DC Trip...Rolling Thunder...Episode 1, The Tree Report.

We got lost going to the Pentagon, go figure. We parked in the South lot, they started the parade from the North lot at 12 or 12:30, not really sure. We started rolling at 2:32, parked our bikes on the river side of the Lincoln Memorial at 3:08. What a ride. Most of the club rode alone or with a patch in sight, Smurph got a flat and never made it out of the Pentagon. He was towed to the hotel, and Jim Scarrit so kindly loaned him his bike for the ride home. Sierra and Phil got lost. Somehow the rest of us found each other and parked together.

At 5:30 headed out of DC to dinner at Longhorns not far from the hotel. Someone else can tell that story. I was one of the 6 bikes or so that made it to the restaurant without issue, except Jason almost got taken out by a car that was not paying attention. Kudos to Jason for paying attention! Judy almost had a coronary watching from behind Jason.

Sierra rode bitch on the back of her own bike to dinner. Smurph on a crotch rocket with Sierra as the passenger, missed that picture, hope someone took one!
No ride goes without some issues. Last night we had a debrief riders meeting poolside. It was actually the best meeting I have sat in on with the club. We talked about mistakes made, how things could have gone better.
I was asked by one of our other lady riders if I would help her practice her riding skills. It got me thinking, we have a lot of women in this club, and we should have a ladies nite! I am thinking we could all meet at one of the ranges and practice some skills first then go on ride. I will send further information after I check on a few things.

Several of us wanted to high tail it home today so we got together for a 6:15 departure, funny thing is our “leader” was not ready, still sleeping actually. So with a wakeup call at 6:23 we received an "OMG I’ll be ready in 10 minutes or go ahead without me", 10 bikes and 12 members finally left at 6:45ish……. Evert in the lead.

The plan was our group out at 6:15; I think Ginny and Craig at 7 and the rest at 9ish. I saw Larry leave on his own around 6:30.

We made a stop for breakfast about 2 hours after takeoff and 2 fuel stops. I decided to not make the second one with the group in Darien, I kept on going and stopped in Madison, not sure how many hours after breakfast, but my mileage was at 197 from the last fuel stop. I myself made it home by 2:15.

Yesterday was a tough day for me physically but, that is another story…. I had a blast with some really great people and WILL do it again. My first Rolling Thunder was in 2008, so maybe the next one will be in ...2014
Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment