Sunday, May 29, 2011

Clarification

I received a reply, from a friend of mine, about my blipping throttle comment in the Bidwell Ride posting.

So I have to clear up two things.

 First, as is stated on the bottom of the first page of this blog:

Disclaimer: The opinions and or statements published in this blog are those of it's editor and do not necessarily represent those of the New London Motorcycle Club or it's members.

Secondly,
 It appears i may have been misunderstood. I did not say I do not like noisy Harleys, or engine blips. I actually would prefer owning a older Harley and if I ever come across the money needed to own a second bike it will be one of those. I enjoy,(and enjoyed) kick starting a motorcycle. I love the sound of the Harley when they made the trademark Potato-potato sound, I love the erratic idle of an older carburated bike when they idled down and you needed to wake them up with a throttle blip so they did not stall out. To me..those were true Harleys. But today's bikes, like mine, are not those. If I pull up to a stop sign and the bike in front of me is lets say a Shovel, yes, there is no problem with the throttle blip, it's sort of like...CPR. But when I pull up behind up you and you are sitting on a twin cam, fuel injected computerized ignition bike, there is no reason to blip the throttle, unless you are trying to tell the people around you "Look at me, I have a Harley"

If the person near you knows anything about the bikes..you aren't impressing them.

But here is a point that person who contacted me brought up that I hadn't considered, "Maybe..just maybe, the guy is blipping his throttle because what he's on is as close as he'll ever get to real American iron and wants to pretend"

If that is the case I guess I would have to look the other way...after all...we all need our dreams...and I can say ... I understand..

klay

No comments:

Post a Comment