Sunday, May 8, 2011

One of the simple joys of riding

I broke off from The Dave Adams Hooters cruise on 384 and headed to 85 south. I had to get back to New London to drop the bike at work and get a ride from Reuben. So I took 85 to 66, stopped and bought a couple clips in Columbia then took 32, 354, 87, 32, 395, 32 to New London.

Besides the scenery there are the smells of riding, Grass, trees, manure, flowers and one of my all time favorites...wet pavement. As I  left Columbia the sky was dark to the east and passing through Lebanon on 87 I came upon an area where the sun was shining but the pavement was wet, obviously I was arriving after a shower. I cruised down to 395, and jumped on the 32 connector as the rain hit. It was great, absolutely enjoyable, Call me stupid but with the windshield on the Street-Glide I really didn't get wet anywhere except my legs, from the knees down. The rain was pretty heavy but the mix of rain on hot pavement produced the one smell I truly love, It reminds me of being a kid out in the rain in the summer. And of course it wouldn't be complete without the visual effect of steam drifting along the roads surface.

So I sat back, put on the CD, and drifted back.

The old saying was true, On a bike it only rains in the front...until you hit New London, four stop signs and three traffic lights... But still.. I can't think of anywhere else I would rather have been.

Oh yeah..the CD?  Creedence Clearwater Revival...."Who'll stop the rain"


klay

No comments:

Post a Comment