Friday, November 6, 2009

There is a reason...

        I have seen people put on their Gerbing jacket and gloves throw a vest over the top and head out riding. I figured I could too, So Thursday night that's exactly what I did, Chaps, jacket, and gloves and off I went. Brenda and I met Reuben and Theresa at the Dunkin Donuts on route 27 in Old Mystic. After fueling up we were off, tre leading. She took us on a great ride, Up route 27 to Old Mystic, onto route 207 to North Stonington, up Wyassup Lake road to route 49 which we followed into Voluntown. Then route 138 to Jewitt City.. I mentioned to Brenda as we cruised along route 138 that my arms were getting chilly, I should mention at this time that Brenda was not plugged in and was only Brenda in name, with her chaps, jacket, gloves, sweatshirt, cap, face-mask and other assorted paraphernalia to keep warm it could have been anyone underneath, and after mentioning my arms were getting chilly, she informed me she had no sympathy and that I was a plugged in wimp. Tre was bundled nicely and seemed warm enough and she did the good Road Sergeant thing and stopped in Jewitt City on Route 12 to ask how we were. Rueben was probably the coldest of all of us since he was only wearing the gloves and leather jacket and has no windshield but didn't seem to complain. Tre asked how we were doing and it was decided to cut the ride short and proceed south on route 12 to Norwich then 32 to the Club. As we headed south tre again slowed and asked if we should just grab 395 south to 163 to the Club where they should have a fire going. At this time I heard a very muffled sound behind me indicating that the shortest ride back would be best, as a matter of fact as we were getting on 395 I kept hearing that same muffled voice behind me repeating the word "fire". So we cranked up the throttles and flew back to the Club via the highway. It was a great ride anyway, I only wish it could have been warmer and not have been cut short.

I have determined that those people wearing the Gerbing with nothing over the top are either wearing heated clothing too damn early in the season, or are nuts and the cold doesn't effect them. Because I can honestly tell you, It doesn't work at 40 degrees and below. Sure its comfortable while you are stopped and it isn't bad for about 40 minutes or so at speed, but you see Gerbing has great heating across the tops of the arms, but nothing under the arms and the material might be considered ah..whats a good word here...thin...useless. The wind grows right through the jacket, and where its heated there is no problem, where it isn't gets a tad cool, cold even.

So back to the title of this story, There is a reason they call it a "Jacket Liner" It definitely belongs under a nice warm insulated thick leather jacket.

klay

No comments:

Post a Comment