Sunday, August 9, 2009

Things in the road

The other day I watched a deer run across in front of one of our members, Since then I have seen both a Coyote and a opossum visit me in my travel lane. These I can deal with, these I understand. Animals that find themselves in a human world and do not know they can cause a disaster to your ride and themselves. The danger We all have to watch for is that of the idiots driving around in those four (or more) wheeled vehicles that are too busy changing a CD, drinking their cup of coffee, talking on a cell phone or texting. These idiots are usually in a world of their own paying no attention to life beyond their windshield and usually in a rush to get to that Convenience store around the corner. With a motorcycle it is the ride to the place that is all important, to the automobile driver it is the destination and the drive there is often an inconvenience.
Do not be fooled, even those people who seem to be paying attention and actually do see you can be a life threat. I follow with an example.
After Sundays club run three of us proceeded through Ledyard Ct on our way towards Columbia. We arrived at a stop sign in Poquetanuk (spel?) We came to the stop sign at rte 2a and met heavy traffic in both directions, after a few minutes a car stopped and waved us out, I started out and looked to the right to make sure that lane was clear as I looked back I found that the same driver who had waved us out was now in front of me. This idiot must suffer from short term memory loss. Having started out into the intersection my right foot was not yet onto the footplate when I found him coming at me, With no way to reach for the rear brake pedal,I had to drop the bike left run along his passenger side then cut across in front of the car behind him. The two members with me both stopped when they saw this and I am hoping imparted the appropriate gesture to the driver.

So..beware...even when the traffic you see, sees you, even when the acknowledge you, and even when they signal you to go. you do not know what is going on in that grey matter they have between their ears. so beware and be careful (and hopefully those with you know the proper salute to give those who live up to our expectations).

1 comment:

  1. This is what I'm talking about!

    Great, interesting to read, blogs.

    I don't know how you get rid of "posted by Ron" foot note.

    ReplyDelete