Sunday, August 16, 2009

PIG and Wildlife

The day started simple enough, I woke up, paid bills and did laundry. Got on my bike, for those interested I ride a 2008 VStar 1100 Classic, black with ghost flames. For those not interested, ignore last entry. I got a call from Rick and hit the road (1030am). The plan was to meet him in Norwichtown then ride til 2pm and meet those who were going to go to the Moose Club (Bozrah) for the Pig Roast. It was a good ride except that Saturday was Animal Suicide day. Riding up Col.Ledyard Hgwy I came down the long hill, through the curve and was met by a gray cat, I like cats, I prefer them to dogs since they seem to have a "hell with you personality", anyway this cat decided to cross my path from left to right. Now I've done Tom's evasive maneuver training and I found that it leaves out one very important fact, a big wheel thrown in front of you has momentum and Carries through in a specific direction, same as a car pulling in front of you, not so with a cat. This cat came out of the brush to the left, I locked the brakes, this had the effect of startling the cat and it stopped, I leaned right to further avoid the critter and it never looked my way, instead it took off like a bolt of lightning into my new path where it met both wheels.
I must say I was rather surprised I was led to believe there would be more carnage involved, for both of us. As it was the cat was flipping around in the road then ran into the woods as I made a U Turn to check it out, never did see it again but I'm sure it was not healthy.
After meeting Rick, and riding up through Norwich I came across a squirrel in the road, remembering the Cat, I decided not to change directions, I was going to pull a Nascar and drive right for it, "it'll be gone when you get there". at three feet away it finally decided it would be smart to move and ran to my right... right in front of Rick.Rick missed it by...1/3 of an inch and we continued riding. The rest of the trip was uneventful except that I found myself slowing for deer signs, and cow signs, and equestrian signs, and even the tractor crossing signs. It is amazing how many wildlife crossing signs there are and I noticed not one damn animal crosses at their crossing sign. Seems like a waste of State monies if the animals are not going to use these crossings allocated to them.

At Dunkin Donuts in Montville we met Tom and Wolfee for the ride to The Pig Roast (Linda had to work). The Pig roast was great, I am sorry not more of the Club went, six pigs, assorted sides, and ice cream. Great food!!! We met five more members there who came on their own. The band was loud, as it should be, and the band was great although my ageing brain has lost their name. The line for the food stretched around the area, being shrewed we decided to wait for the line to subside before eating. This never happened. no matter how many people ate the line stayed the same length, we finally gave up and joined the multitudes.

Congratulations are in order for Patty who's all women pig roasting team took third place. Dave found that instead of waiting in line he could just visit each table and they would throw him scraps, I warned Patty that if she fed him he wouldn't go away but it worked out well, Dave came up with a plan, he would continue the stray dog act while I moved with the line, and he bought his way into line by running food from Patty to me. Can't wait for the next Pig Roast, and I have to say to those members who couldn't make this event or blew it off, the God's are weeping for you, you missed a great time.

klayofthemystics

No comments:

Post a Comment