Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday Morning

Woke up at 5:30 this morning, looked out the window and saw all that beautiful white CRAP covering the world. Snow, if you are not aware of this, is one of my least favorite things. Snow means cold and slippery, it dampens the riding season. Snow (in greater abundance) also means work, I hate shoveling, hell I don't even like using the snow-blower. When possible I hire the kid next door, he doesn't like snow either but he does like money. I use him for leaf removal and mowing the grass, this should give you an idea of how I feel about yard work in general.

I watched the F1 race in Delhi, India, what a great place to hold a premier auto race. There has to be nothing as special as paying top dollar to attend a Formula One venue and having open sewerage running down the street outside. This I learned from BBC radio last night.

The race over, I started the bike and backed it out of the shed, This feat was a little tricky in itself considering outside the shed the ground was covered in snow coated leaves. Reverse gear worked well enough, except the left foot kept losing traction.

The sun was beginning to shine and the air warm a tad so I grabbed the chaps, a light jacket and my Cowboy hat. I hit the road. The roads weren't too bad, wet with slush here and there, leaves and pine needles everywhere, and you know that fluffy snow that coats the tree branches before the sun gets up...today it was actually ice. I know this because as the sun heated the air it began to melt and fall off the trees. I caught two in the face on my ride up Cowhill road. They sting...a Lot. I made for the highway making sure to negotiate the on ramp smoothly because of the plowed slush. Getting off the highway in Stonington I headed for fuel and cigarettes, then I visited my favorite girls at the Equinox. One cup of coffee later I was back on the road headed to downtown Mystic. Mystic is actually a fire district not a town. Half the town is in the Town of Groton and the other half in Stonington. Both towns it turns out are very concerned for their motorists. Both towns put down heavy salt coatings on the roads, both towns it would appear get their salt from the same place. I say this because of the size of the salt. Instead of using a fine grind or liquefied sodium these towns use marble sized stones of salt. It doesn't melt fast but it does make corners interesting.

 I found that the Cowboy hat was not a good choice today, so after the coffee stop I pulled the Skunk Fuzzy out of the bag and switched to that. From Mystic I headed home.

I believe I will wait for the temperature to increase before venturing back out.


klay

No comments:

Post a Comment