Friday, October 4, 2013

Mitigating Risk

I found an article on Road Runner magazine's website titled "Touring Tip: Know Your Riding Risk Factors". It brings up each of the varieties of risk factors involved every time you get on a motorcycle and breaks them down into four categories


Here is a link to the article: Touring Tip: Know Your Riding Risk Factors

Some of you may be thinking "I know this stuff already" and YOU SHOULD know all this stuff already, but it doesn't hurt to take a look and refresh your memory. It's not very long and will only take a few minutes. Go ahead, take a quick look; I'll wait.

Each of us makes choices in the amount of risk that we are willing to take. Being aware of ALL of the risks allows us to make an educated decision regarding each risk. Being ignorant puts us at a greater risk of getting hurt.

As many of you know, I wear a helmet, jacket, boots and full gloves whenever I ride. Does it get hot and uncomfortable sometimes? Sure it does, but I'm not willing to accept the risk of going down without that gear. It's my personal choice based upon my assessment of the risks. As well as my promise to my wife to wear protective gear and ride responsibly. Having high-sided once, I appreciate the value of wearing certain gear.



On the other hand, I don't wear armored riding pants.  First of all I'd have to have them custom made since they are not typically stocked in my size. Second they would be rather expensive. Again, this is my personal choice. Even though I have read that the average pair of blue jeans will disintegrate within the first six feet of contact with the road, I'm not willing to expend the extra money and possibly have to deal with the discomfort of riding pants to mitigate that risk. I appreciate the ability to make my own choices regarding the amount of risk I am willing to accept and I'm not suggesting that anyone should accept my judgement for themselves.

This is, and should be, a personal choice. However; there is another factor to consider that is not mentioned in the article. There are people who depend on you. Whether they be your children, a spouse, an elderly parent or maybe a friend or neighbor. Riding is a very personal and individualistic activity. It feels great being out on the road without any "Back-Seat Drivers" and it is very easy to take on a "Machismo Attitude" when making choices. "I'm Wild and Free!"....Maybe for the moment, but you'll want to be there for those who love and depend upon you when you get back.

We all think "That won't happen to me." But the truth is that we do not have complete control of anything that we do. There is always some element of risk that is out of our control. The best we can do is to mitigate (or lessen the chances of) that risk by being prepared and riding responsibly.

Did you look at the article? If not, take a look now. I think you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment