Sunday, August 7, 2011

The 1st Annual Fallen Veterans Ride

I got up and looked out the window, was it still raining?  The rain had started the night before and a quick look out the back door told me the answer, No..it was not raining, it was pouring. When one thinks of rain they think individual drops of rain falling lightly of heavily from the sky, today was like a solid curtain.
Being the Road Sergeant for New London County and knowing the Road Captain was up north for a wedding, I know I would be going to Montville rain or shine. One good thing though, two years ago, after the trip to New Hampshire where I got to ride home in a thunderstorm, I went online to J&P and bought a rain suit, Today I found out...it fits, and it works great. Danny called me and asked if I was going on the run and asked "bike or car?" I wanted to say car but then the thought struck me, these men died, defending the country, for me, and for all of those that live here whether they want to believe it or not. How could I not ride my bike because I would get wet, when they gave up everything so that I could..
So I put on the suit, jumped on the bike and hit I-95. At exit 88 two cars ahead of me, I assume found water over the road, both went into the guard rails. All I saw was a column of mist and auto parts rise into the air, I slowed, moved to the right and picked my way through the debris field, then continued on my way. There were enough cars around that I was sure someone would call 911 so some sap on a motorcycle wouldn't have to dig into his togs, and make a cell phone call from a bike.
I arrived at Montville, filled the tank, went to DD for coffee and waited for the Club to arrive. A.O.B. was set for 10am.
9:50 came and went, 9:55 came and went, 10am came so I went. alone. As I pulled onto 32 for the 100 foot ride down the road to the American Legion I saw Danny at the gas pump, I indicated where I was heading, pulled in parked and waited for him.
We signed up and headed out, down 32 to Nowhere then I-95 across to Groton, jumped off on Allyn street and ran through Mystic to the VFW there. At the VFW we showed the VFWers how to run the poker hands since there was no dealer there yet. Then we headed up 27 to the Equinox for coffee before continuing on.

Mystic is a Tourist destination, there people walk downtown and view the shops, and spend money, or they visit the Seaport and walk from building to building and building to ship examining the displays, they go to the Aquarium and Titanic museum, walk around all the outside tanks and displays with eyes open wide with wonder at all the oceans creatures, or they visit the Olde Mistick Village and walk from shop to shop. But today, it was pouring so they had nowhere to go, so they had a choice, stay in their motel rooms or go out for breakfast.
The entire seasonal population of Mystic decided on the Equinox. The staff was taking names and counts and telling you there would be a wait.
We didn't.
With the strongest part of the storm now lashing the area we headed up 27 to 201 then across on route 2 to Preston for our 4th card. Visibility was atrocious, rivers and puddles in the road, tree branches here and there, and the rain. The glasses would fog up, the rain was on the inside and outside of the glasses, you felt like you were in a swimming pool. IT was Fantastic. I have never enjoyed a poker run more. The air was warm in the upper 70s so the rain had no adverse effect except to visibility. And it was fun to ride in it. Of course occasionally you would have to reach up, pull your glasses down and say, "There's the road, we're doing OK"

Leaving Preston we ran to Plainfield for the last card, and to say hello to Mikey. From this point on the rain started to break up, and the sky to get lighter, we ran down to Norwichtown and stopped for Coffee and food at Freindly's. We decided to shed the rain suit tops and figured to ride the rest of the way without them, only to find when we came out the door that the rain was back, not hard though, just constant.  

 So we put the suits back on and headed south, as we crossed from 395 to 32 the sun came out, it got hot. We arrived back at the American Legion, turned in our card sheets, grabbed a couple beers and went outside to visit with other people and listen to the music.

Now, I should say that I can listen to most music, but... I hate Country music, and worse yet Karaoke, Oh My God!!!

The original report was to be back at the Legion by 4 for the drawings, so we sat around and waited, we talked with the Saxons and the Leathernecks, we ate, we sat....more Karaoke, (someone shoot me), worse yet, drunk women who think they are wonderful, singing Karaoke, (use a 50calibre please).

At 4pm there was an announcemnet, selling more raffle tickets, at 4:30 they came around with Jagermeister shots, at 443pm they announced all card sheets had to be in by 4:45. They brought out the raffle tables. At 5pm they announced that you can buy raffle tickets, at 5:05 some guy picked up the mike and started singing Karaoke, at 5:05 we were outa there.

Thibbs rode his bike and arrived later, Paul rode in on his bike and gave a donation.

Mike says at Plainfield (he was a dealer) he had a total of 5 bikes show up.

I know it was raining but you had all day, if someone left at noon and started the ride they would have had good weather, Selling more tickets when the people sitting there for most of the day are requesting the raffles pulled, not cool.  The fact that the Club that ran it, was mainly at the Start line bar and not one made the run...

If it is up to me, next year...stop by, make a donation for the Scholarship, and go for a real ride.

Danny and I both gave away our raffle and 50/50 tickets before leaving, I hope they won something, and when I got home I had a text message, I won 2nd best hand with three 10s, Oh well, have to be there to collect. Next best hand goes to?



klay

1 comment:

  1. next best hand at 3 pair was drawn by mike holmes
    but walked out the door with mark,dan and paul
    so at the forth place hand went to danny belfur "popa smurf"

    ReplyDelete