Friday, December 27, 2013

Scouting Mission

My original intention for a ride this Saturday was to take a short (One hour) ride along the shore because I thought it might be a little warmer there. Further research reveals the anticipated difference to be less than 5 degrees Fahrenheit.

Upon speaking with a club member who is interested in joining the ride I decided to take a look at a more inland route to our destination. I quickly put together a route using major roadways we have been down many times before.

Unfortunately, I never paid much attention to the time while on previous rides. That’s the beauty of being led by someone else. They worry about the timing and you just go along for the ride carefree. Well now it’s my turn to lead and my responsibility to determine how long or short to make the ride all things considered.

Remember, those previous rides were during much warmer weather. Now in addition to aching knees and backs, I have to consider just how long the average rider can take the cold sting in the tips of their fingers before gangrene sets in.

Fortunately, I had the time to run the route this afternoon. To get an accurate impression of the ride I had to start at our usual meeting place, Dunkin Donuts in Uncasville and stay close to the speed limit.

I took Rt.163 North and crossed over to Old Colchester Road at the Montville Dump and continued North to Rt.82 where I made a left and headed Southwest to Salem 4 Corners. This leg took about 20 minutes and was when I first started to feel the stinging pain of frozen finger tips. 

I held out until I got to the other side of the East Haddam Bridge where I pulled over at the Dunkin Donuts (where else would I pull over?) and put on a pair of glove liners, but I didn’t waste time as I wanted to see how long this route would take.

This was about half way through the trip and by the time I reached my destination, my fingertips were aching again. The pain would probably have been less intense if I had used the liners from the beginning.

Completing the trip I took Rt. 154 to Rt. 153, to Rt. 166 which ended at Rt. 1 and my destination.  Total riding time was an hour and a half; 50% longer than I had intended but 25% shorter than our usual 2-Hour ride.

Keeping with tradition I stopped in the Dunkin Donuts across from the Cuckoo’s Nest Restaurant and wrapped my frozen fingers around a hot tea. 

For the return trip I planned to ride down Rt. 1 to the next entrance ramp to I95 North, but decided to simply get on at the entrance ramp on Rt.166. Once over the bridge I took Rt. 156 to Rt. 1 which I followed all the way back to Rt. 32 and our usual meeting place. The return trip took a little less than an hour.

Overall the route worked well. If we depart on time at 10 AM, we should have time to take a break half way through to warm up and still make to our destination near Noon time.

Rather than continuing to Rt. 32, for the return trip on Saturday I will be staying on Rt. 156 North to Rt. 82 toward Norwich and home.




No comments:

Post a Comment