Monday, October 15, 2012

There's a term out there that wasn't there when...h

The cell phone occasionally has an echo to it, you can hear yourself in an echo after you finish talking. 
I go on the computer at work, I click on a webpage to open it...and I wait.
I print something off the computer the wait for the printer to start printing.
I'm playing a video game on line, I raise my weapon, aim it, and the guy who was in front of me is now next to me and stabs me.

The term is "lag"

When I was a kid it didn't really exist. I dialed my "rotary" phone and it went through, Phone numbers with 9's and 0's sucked, it took a while for the rotor to come back after you took your finger out of the hole, but it wasn't a lag, you could hear the clicks as the stator rotated back. Then you could hear the phone on the other end ringing. Today people would go nuts if they had to "dial" a phone. There was a bonus to the phones when I was a kid. There were no answering machines and when you went out..the phone stayed home. No one knew where you were and couldn't get a hold of you. It was great. I'm OUT. that's the idea of being OUT.

As far as computers were concerned, they only existed in Scifi Movies or giant corporations and government buildings, usually filling a room. there was no Internet. No Information super highway. There was no sitting for hours playing virtual sports, actually doing nothing and thinking it was fun. If you wanted to do something you had to do it and you usually had the extra benefit of exercise at the same time. Or...if the weather was crappy out, you used your imagination, you pretended. It's called free thought. It actually helps your mind develop. 

If I wanted something "printed" it meant that I didn't use cursive writing,   or I had to type it. (remember carbon paper?)

Games..Monopoly never lagged, neither did Life, Operation, Parcheesi, Rockem' Sockem' Robots, Air hockey, Electric football (remember that, turn up the vibration dial to make players go faster, actually it made all the little players jump around and fall over), Train sets, Slot cars, GI Joe, Major Matt Mason, Hot Wheels, Matchbox (back when they looked like real cars). 

In fact the only thing back then that lagged was a Turbo. And that wasn't a good thing either, stomp the gas and sit there, then......WHAM.

It seems today that everything has to be fast, be now, be instant. Nobody waits, nobody has patience. People start complaining if someone is in front of them in line at a cash register.

I think lag a plan of nature, we want everything electronic and fast, so we develop new junk everyday, and because we do, nature just throws in a little glitch, something to remind us that there are other things, other forces out there. It says, here....have a little lag.

klay

No comments:

Post a Comment