Monday, October 22, 2012

Remember State Line Potato Chips?

They were always my favorites, lightly salted, thin cut, and had a distinctive potato aftertaste unlike some of the more "greasier" styles. They were located in Wilbraham Massachusetts on Route 20 and if you decided to stop by for a visit, they would invite you in to see the process and you would get a small free bag of warm chips as a bonus. 

As with everything times change and the things we grew up with go away. Stateline was bought out by a large chip maker and the place was closed up. Well guess what...they're back, well sort of, the chips are back. Mike "Propane" Holmes sent me a bag today in a box marked "opened only in case of bad day". Well it isn't a bad day today and Mike called and told me i could open the box anyway. That blue bag with the red white and blue label proudly depicting the "State Line" sign post stared up at me. the boys working for me are currently helping me devour them. the flavor is right on the nose. But I don't think i will be stopping by the place any time soon. They are now packaged by Yum Yum Potato Chips Warwick QUEBEC. 

but hey, as long as I can have them again one piece of the past has come back to me. Now if only we can get Rosseler Hot Dogs, Pudding Pops, and Franco American Macaroni back on the store shelves I will be all set for life. hey..they may as bring back real penny candy too...for a penny!!!

klay

2 comments:

  1. The old salt and vinegar were my all time favorite. They were so strong they took your breath away. I wish I could get them again, my favorite chip ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the memories, and the update. As a child, State Line was the go-to chip for picnics and the occasional treat. I recall Grandma serving up cold fried chicken on a hot August day, with a side of chilled potato salad, and a generous dill pickle spear. All complimented by a "help yourself" basket of SL chips.

    ReplyDelete