Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Don't Let the Weatherman Decide If You Ride!

As I am writing this on Wednesday morning, weather.com has predicted a 30% chance of a “Passing Shower” on Thursday afternoon and evening.


 They also predict a 30% chance of “Scattered Thunderstorms” for Sunday.



When checking the weather forecast, it often appears as if the club rides are cursed by the “Weather Gods”


But the truth is that IT’S ALL IN THE INTERPRETATION.
Let’s face it, while meteorology (shouldn’t that be the study of meteors?) has improved quite a bit since I first started paying any attention to them (back in the 1970’s) they continue to be notoriously off the mark a good amount of the time. Personally I think that the weathermen throw in that 30% “chance” just to cover their bets!

So the way to interpret the weather data for Thursday and Sunday is that there is a 

70% CHANCE THAT IT WILL BE SUNNY!  

I was never an “A” student in math, but I’m pretty sure 70% beats 30% most of the time.


So I look forward to seeing you on the rides this week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment