Monday, March 5, 2012

Sunday Ride Report

Sunday Ride? There wasn't one right? That's what I thought. At Thursday's meeting there was no Road Captain, Honor Guard Captain or Road Guard Captain, and strangely enough.. no Adamses. The meeting I am told was a quick one and there was no mention of a ride.

Myself, I have been wanting to put some mileage on the bike since it came out of the shop, so I talked to Danny on Friday and we figured we'd hit the road on Sunday.


So...Sunday morning I went to the Equinox for breakfast, at 9:30am I was sitting at the counter drinking my coffee when the cel phone rang, it was Dave Adams. He said he had been at the Moose for breakfast and that people were talking about today's ride, leaving at 11 from Dunkin. He said he was on call and could not lead a ride, I told him that I did not believe there actually was one.

I called Danny and we decided we would head to DD and hang around till eleven to see who may show and we would go from there. When I arrived I found Danny and Rich Woodhall outside talking, I pulled in and we moved inside, Dave Adams showed up shortly afterwards.

A little after eleven, Rich headed home to the wife, Dave headed to work, Danny and I headed up 163. I have to say here that the temperature was hovering around 40 degrees, so I wore my skunk fuzzy, but left the heated gear in the saddlebag. We cruised up 163 to Fitchville then crossed over to 87. When we hit Lebanon I pulled in at the town hall and switched to heated gear. (The fingers were a tad cold). We cruised up 207 to 85, crossed 66 and took east street (which becomes Hebron rd) to Bolton. We took Bolton Center road to Steeles Crossing down to route 6. We turned left onto South Street and ran through Nathan Hale State Park and the Homestead. Through the Rotary, through Coventry, past the pizza house and turned onto Cross Street, then Lake, and down Monument Hill road to come out across the street from Bidwells. We had lunch (wings, love their Garlic Pepper, it goes good with Scotch and Coke). After lunch we decided it was too early to give up riding so we headed up 31 to 44 and took that east through Mansfield Depot, Storrs, Warrenville and Ashford. Up this way the temperature was down around 35 and the ground all around was covered in that winter white stuff. In Abington we turned south on 97 down through Hampton and Scotland to Sprague, then through Baltic to Taftville where we picked up route 12 into Norwich. in Norwich we picked up route 2 but turned onto Palmer Street (Middle Road) and took that down to 2A in Poquetanuck. (Ask Rich Woodhall about the time I took him down this road (he didn't care for the jump too much)). We turned left on 2A then right on Cider Mill (Avery Hill) to 214. A left on 214 then a right on Whalehead to Sandy Hollow, down the drag strip at the reservoir to 117, then across onto Lambtown. Lambtown to Wendell Comrie to Gallup Hill and Shewville into Old Mystic. A quick ride down rte 27 brought us to the Equinox for coffee. After coffee it was a quick hop on 95 to New London. The ride was about 140 miles long, not that far a trip but it felt great to be cruising on the bike. All in all it was a pretty good day, especially considering...there was no ride today.


klay

No comments:

Post a Comment