Monday, October 5, 2009

Back on two wheels

It has been tormenting me, taunting me, everytime I looked out the door, there it sat, saying "uncover me take me for a ride", The doctors said no. Take it easy, let the disc swelling go down, the bike will only aggravate  it. It had been two weeks without riding, and I started to feel disconected from the world. The Club said there was a ride today, Sunday, October 4th, It was founders day but the weather threatened and the Club postponed the Founders day run. Instead they planned a lunch ride, meet at Norms diner, then go see Charlie and maybe a short ride later.
   I figured a short ride would be o/k, at least if I had problems it would not be a long ride home. So at 9am with my back aching, I went out for a ride, stopped to buy gas and smokes and headed up rte 184 with nowhere in particular in mind. It was 3 hours too early to meet the Club but I had to ride. In Center Groton I found two other bikes in a parking lot, better yet they had Club patches, so I turned in to visit. Skip and Gary were just about to head out and invited me along, we crossed the Thames and headed to Niantic for Breakfast at the American Legion. I ate...a lot, if it is a breakfast food, they had it, and I ate it, done, I was again ready to ride. I headed for New London with Skip and Gary now in tow. On Jefferson Avenue they turned off and I headed for Applebees to meet Brenda and Rubin we then headed to Norms.
      At this point I can make a statement about riding the bike and doctors orders, I haven't felt that good in weeks, the bike is great for the back.
      From Norms the Club rode to Charlies and from there to Hazlets garage, Brenda and I let the Club go and were going to catch up with them, We grabbed 95 and stopped on the bridge in the breakdown lane and waited... and waited...
      The Club didn't show, seems the roads around the old Navy housing area had them at a loss. Since they didn;t show he headed to Ricks, arriving before them. When the Club did arrive we all went into a discussion about Judy's new Vstar, being Vstar owners we picked out the parts on hers we most liked and discussed stripping those items for our own bikes before returning it to her.
   From here it was decided to ride back to Montville to Eds Country Resteraunt. Again Brenda and I broke off this time to visit the Corn Maze at Ekonk. Here's another tidbit of information, if you are recovering from a disc problem don't spend an hour and a half trudgeing around a corn field. It hurts.
 From there it was just a leisurely ride home by way of Clydes Cider mill.


So if you ever have back problems remember...riding good, walking bad.
Klay

No comments:

Post a Comment