Saturday, September 21, 2013

Thursday's Mystery Ride Report


 I got to David's Place early enough to order dinner and relax while I waited to see 
who would show up for the ride.





 I highly recommend the lamb gyro and fries.

What a nice bike! But where is everybody? 

Slowly but surely they started rolling in. Danny, Joe, Randall, Dave & Margo, with a new prospect named Ryan riding a sport bike. Evert showed up with the cast off his foot, but not riding yet. Craig and Tracey rode in separately, but neither of them joined us on the ride. 







Dave was the Road Sergeant for this ride. He asked Danny and I to block traffic while the group made a left turn out of the parking lot. I headed up towards Chesterfield Road and made a U-turn when I saw a break in the traffic. Riding slowly back, flashing my break lights, I could see Dave motioning to Dan that the group was ready. Just then a car pulled around me into the opposite lane to pass. There was nothing I could do about that one, but I motioned for the others to stay back. Just then Cheech Marin rode around the line of cars to assist me. There was no sign of Chong, but I was glad for the help! 

Seriously, I was very happy to see John.

Dave lead us on a very nice ride making use of the remaining daylight to take us down some picturesque back roads before ending up on Rt. 85 North into Colchester, to Rt.207 East into Lebanon and Rt.87 South into Franklin. The air was crisp and the cream colored full moon hung low in the cobalt sky, just above the corn fields and barns we were passing at twilight. It was beautiful to be cruising along with my friends under these near-perfect conditions. 

It was on Rt. 87 heading into Franklin that we got stuck behind a slow moving mini-van. I don't know if it was Dave's original intention, but we diverted onto Old Rt. 87, to Kahn Rd. to Brush Hill Road, to Fitchville Road which put us onto Rt. 163 heading toward the clubhouse. Along the way we passed an alfalfa (hay) truck followed by a small whirlwind of alfalfa leaves to ride through for a few minutes. I was surprised how long it lasted and glad that I remembered to take my allergy medication. Not too long after that; we passed a tractor trailer hauling eggs. It too had a distinctive odor that could only be one thing. 


We arrived at the clubhouse to find a small crowd outside and inside too. Thibs had the coffee ready as well as a "white" cake with vanilla cake and frosting with coconut in it. Delicious as usual and very welcome after the cool ride.


 

 The meeting was called to order followed by the Pledge of Allegiance, Moment of Silence for sick and departed members followed by the usual committee reports and business of the club. Of special note was the submission of 6 more designs for our 75th Anniversary Patch which we voted on. The winners of each month's competition will compete again at a meeting in November to determine the final winning design.

Vinny didn't have a lot to report for Middlesex County, but Tom regaled us with his humorous observations of some sportbike riders he came across. I couldn't do justice to his performance here. You just had to be there. 
  After the meeting a number of us rode down to the Dunkin Donuts on Rt. 32 to enjoy some more beverages and snacks and share more stories before ending another enjoyable night out and heading home.



No comments:

Post a Comment