Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I've been complaining about my GPS forever

I tell the unit I want to go from Mystic to New London and I'm on rte184 when I make the request. the thing tells me to take rte 117 to Ledyard, 216 to Gales Ferry, 2A to Uncasville then 32 south. As I continue along rte 184 it keeps "recalculating turn right on Gungywamp" (who the hell named that road?), "turn right on route 12", only when I get to the 184-I-95 junction does it say, take I-95
   I have been told that Garmin is owned by Exxon-Mobil Corp, Gee, that would make sense, extra miles use extra gas.
  I had to go to New Jersey on Monday night, (Oh yeah...I'm back), not a problem, I know how to get to Woodcliffe Lake, and I know how to get to Suffern New York. Now in case you are not aware of it, one of my hobbies is railroad photography, so I figured I could catch some New Jersey Transit and Norfolk Southern pictures. I was cruising the back roads, and the GPS was getting me from one station to another on two different rail lines without a problem, as a matter of fact it was taking me up and down roads you wouldn't believe, great roads for motorcycles, hills, corners, hairpins, switchbacks, perfect that is except the area is populated and you usually have traffic in front and behind.
   Now, today, I get out of BMW and set the GPS for Yonkers (my other hobby, the expensive one, gambling).  BMW is on Chestnut Ridge Road, Now I know how to get to Yonkers from there, turn right into the commuter lot, cut through the rest area, and there you are, the Garden State Parkway south, The GSP dumps out on 87/287 the New York Thruway, the Thruway takes you across the Tappanzee to 87 towards  New York City, hop off at the Cross County parkway exit in Yonkers and you are there..simple right?

So picture yourself on Chestnut Ridge Road, that annoying voice says..."Calculating"...then it says "drive to highlighted route"..except there isn't one...then..."Recalculating"...the display shows 10%..50%...80%..."re-calculating"...."drive to Chestnut Ridge Road"...I'm on Chestnut Ridge Road you electronic piece of..."re-calculating...

By now I have turned through the parking lot and am on the Garden State..."recalculating", I have merged with the New York Thruway.... "re-calculating" ....passing through the Palisades... "drive 4.5 miles to New York Thruway east'.  

HEY!! it figured it out...nope...

" In 1.2 miles,Take exit for Nyack"

Nyack?!!! The bridge is about two miles straight ahead.."re-calculating" Stay on 287 south to Tarrytown" Hey!! it got across he river!!  "Take exit 20 Saw Mill River Parkway".

STUPID GPS PIECE OF CRAP!!!

I turned the annoying piece of crap of and continued on my way. After leaving Empire City behind, and $550. I picked up  Cross County Parkway to 287and 95 towards home. Passing through New Haven I set the unit to take me home..."take exit to rte1"

sigh*

I found the settings screen, it was set for shortest distance. I turned off the address and set it for fastest route. crossing the Connecticut river I turned it back on, " take exit 71 Four Mile River road". Stupid GPS, back to settings screen, here on the preference listing I found a small tab, "exclusions" I pushed it, there was a list with the title "Avoid"  the list had things like, U-turns, traffic, highways, tolls, etc... Everything on the list was checked off. I unchecked everything, and plugged the address back in..."calculating...take I-95 north..."  Hurray!!!

Then I started thinking of New Jersey, I was cussing out this stupid unit, while it was on the verge of a nervous breakdown, it was going nuts trying to figure out how to get from Woodcliffe Lake New Jersey to New London, Ct. without crossing a Toll booth, using a highway and avoiding traffic...think about it. It must have been thinking let's see south to Mahwah across New Jersey to...No, down through New Jersey to Rahway...no....North to Beacon and ...no...Albany and Rensellear?

I think I'll be nice to it for now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment