Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"Real Bikers"

I like playing with words.

What I like best is words have a different meaning to different people.


Some words have dual meanings. Comedians make a living out of that.

George Carlin is my hero!

Esoteric words have a specific meaning to a particular field and are seldom used else where. Economist talk in terms of utils (units of utility). Electrical technicians measure resistance in ohms (units of resistance). Accountants encumber funds and amortize assets.

Phrases also have different meanings to different people. To a pilot, In The Wind means fighting a head wind. To a sailor, this means a lot of tacking is in order. To a biker, it means the freedom to ride the open road.

However, there is one phrase that troubles me. It's meaning sometimes eludes me.

"Real Biker"
Dah..................
Dat's one I should know.
But, really, what is a real biker?
T T Riders (tavern to tavern) must think it's all about "the look". The machines they ride look like they would break my butt after 100 miles. Their rags wouldn't give me much protection if I went down. But, they look like real bikers, so they must be, don't you think?
Well...
Then there is the Vanilla Bean Crowd. You know who I'm talking about. They ride fine, European machines that cost more to maintain than a panhead. They insist in riding in expensive full leather body suits (the look, you know). It's really fun to see them on a 100 degree day try to act "cool". But, they must be "real bikers" don't you think?
Well...
Then there are those hearty souls who ride with the NLMC. Long riders (Canada, New Found Land or Alaska anyone?). Or, how about those crazies who ride 80 miles on a day that starts out at 17 degrees and ends up in a 35 degree heat wave? Oh, they aren't in it for "the look", unless layers of clothing and gauntlets turn you on. They ride Harleys, Gold Wings and metric cruisers. Nothing special, but durable and solid. They ride with windshield and saddlebags, not necessarily good looking but functional. Can these guys be the elusive "real bikers"?
Hmmm.
I'll have to ponder that.
Gray Beard

No comments:

Post a Comment